Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 123
Buying a Minivan

Thread: Buying a Minivan

Buying a Minivan

Hi Everyone,

In preparation for the future, my husband and I are contemplating purchasing a minivan this year and having it wheelchair converted sometime next year. I have to admit, however, that I am having a hard time swallowing the idea of being a minivan-Mom, despite how sensible the purchase would be. My own hangup!! At any rate, as a result I've been researching other options. I've seen the Honda Element (no longer in production which is a drawback) converted with a wheelchair ramp. Has anyone else seen other car models converted with wheelchair ramps other than minivans?

Thanks so much in advance for any thoughts and suggestions.
    Joanne~Mom to Sasha (15 years old, MPS IIIA)
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sashasegal

Forum Helper - Moderator
    I have seen a car in town called a Scion that has been retrofitted.

I think most people do the minivan conversions.
    Tara

Mom to Hannah and Luke (9 - twins) unaffected and Jake (7) MPS IIIA

OK, thanks, Tara. I'll have to check that out!

Forum Committee - Moderator
    I have heard of SUVs being converted, but I think each one is custom, unlike minivans and full sized vans where the conversions are standardized and crash tested. You could probably get it done, but you might have to travel pretty far to find someone who can do it. Our minivan conversion should be finished at the end of this week! In NY, the Medicaid Waiver will cover the cost of the conversion. It was a lengthy process, but we stuck it out. Because our current van is ancient, we had the choice between purchasing a new or used van and taking it to the mobility dealership to have it converted or purchasing a van that was already converted or ready to convert through the mobility dealership. We decided to purchase it from the mobility dealership to shorten our waiting time. NY requires that the conversion be new, but the van can be used as long as was built within a certain time frame and has under a certain number of miles (I don't remember the exact numbers). We bought a used 2014 with low mileage to keep our costs a little lower. Good luck with your decision!
    Robin
    Mom to Avery, 14 yrs
    ^^Logan^^, MPS II (6/14/03-3/15/15)
    and Kara, 9 yrs

Forum Helper - Moderator
    We don have Medicaid for Jake. I am dreading this when the time comes because we will be so unprepared for the actual costs and the realization that we are probably not going to get it covered through any program.

I did laugh because the other night out of the blue Luke said "when we gets Jake's wheelchair van can we get one that has wifi?". He went on to tell me that some vehicles have that now! Funny kids.
    Tara

Mom to Hannah and Luke (9 - twins) unaffected and Jake (7) MPS IIIA

Wow, this is all so helpful. Robin thank you for all of that insight. We have been researching vans for a while and almost purchased one a few weeks ago but decided to hold off for a bit more. I'm glad we did in case we have certain criteria that the state of New Hampshire may require for us to be able to apply for help with the cost of conversion. I would have never known it may have to be of a certain age/mileage, etc. Ironically I happen to have a meeting in a few weeks with our local coordinator. So I will make sure and not make any decisions before finding out more about our state's requirements!

Tara that is really funny....my husband found a van that has different television screens for each row, so that someone in say the third row of the van can watch something different than the person in say the second row. Since we only have Sasha I was saying we could have a movie channel for the dog!