Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 123
Illinois assistance.

Thread: Illinois assistance.

Forum Helper - Moderator

Illinois assistance.

So i finally received paperwork from DHS to complete however now that they are in hand we wont qualify. Hubby has a job now so we don't meet criteria. But paying for co pays, diapers, hearing aid batteries, and other med supplies is getting really expensive. Not to mention tolls, gas, and hospital parking are all adding up. Any Illinois residence have any insider resources to help with any of these expenses?
    Jamie, mother to Jack (MPS II)

www.heresjack.com
    www.savejack.ca

Blog Entries
    I honestly dont know but maybe you should move across the border to WI and just commute. ;)
    Erica J. Thiel
    MPS I Hurler-Scheier, Age 30
    "Life is A Journey with a Past, Present and Future, But for Now all we have is Today"
    www.rarelydefined.blogspot.com

Forum Helper - Moderator
    We don't qualify for anything based on our income. We were told to sign up through the PUNS system. This is basically a lottery system, not income based. Once a year you fill out a form stating the severity of how badly you need services, for instance respite, PT, OT, home modifications, etc.

We were told that the waiting list is shorter for kids so we would have a better chance of getting in. It has been three years and we are still waiting.........
    Tara

Mom to Hannah and Luke (9 - twins) unaffected and Jake (7) MPS IIIA

Forum Helper - Moderator
    Yes, there is the PUNS system, which I totally don't understand, My kid's did eventually qualify for All Kids insurance , where you pay a premium and then you have copays for visits and scripts. Have you applied for All Kids?. I believe that with the huge medical expenses you have, that the income limits may not be an issue, as your out-going expenses due to healthcare make your income so much less. I have posted some links to other agencies such as DSCC under the Illinois section of Financial Care.
    I need to get off the internet for now, but I will make myself and note to see if there is anything else I can think of to help you! My heart goes out to you, as this is the boat we were in for many years, early in the diagnosis, until All Kids came along. But All Kids may have changed some of their rules and i am unsure if they have made it harder to qualify.
    Valerie Barnett

Steffany (06/29/95 to 02/26/11) MPSIIIA
    Stevie "BammBamm" (12/14/97 to 12/31/12) MPSIIIA

I just googled and this is what I came up with...

http://www2.illinois.gov/hfs/Medical...ges/tdmfc.aspx

http://internet.dscc.uic.edu/dsccroot/home_care.asp

http://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=52542

This link (scroll a little down)
    Special Medicaid Eligibility for Children in the Children's Waivers

Children who are determined clinically eligible for either of the Children's Waivers who are under the age of 19 can apply for Medicaid under special eligibility rules that can waive family income for families who would not otherwise qualify for Medicaid benefits for their child, based on the parent's income.
    The PAS agency that determines clinical eligibility for the Children's Waivers can assist families to apply for Medicaid for their child. For children found clinically eligible for the waivers and for whom funding is authorized, PAS agencies will follow special procedures to help the family apply for Medicaid benefits. This will ensure that the child's Medicaid application is given special handling. Please contact the PAS agency in your area for more information about the Children's Waiver Medicaid application process.
    For young adults determined eligible for the Children's Waiver, the PAS agency will assist the individual to apply for Medicaid benefits as an adult through the local DHS office. Please contact PAS for more information about the Medicaid application for young adults.

http://pascenter.org/state_based_sta...state=illinois (to apply for the special medicaid eligibility)
    married to Derrick
    Mom to
    Ian MPS 3A
    Tesla Unaffected

Give it to God.

Forum Helper - Moderator
    Thanks!

i have contacted PAS they sent me a 10 page packet to fill out. Once I completed(very involved) it was overdue so frustrating. I need to get a new packet now since providers have changed. It required letters and copies if tax return info, bills, etc. I guess I buck it up and complete again. And then we sit on a waiting list.
    PUNS has a waiting lit too.
    And i was told we didn't qualify for All Kids once my husband started his job, since now we have primary insurance coverage. Unfortunately it doesn't cover diapers, prescription copays (Prevacid is killing my pocketbook) and copays which is our huge expenses right now.

anyhow I'm going to work on the PAS packet!

thanks everyone.
    Jamie, mother to Jack (MPS II)

www.heresjack.com
    www.savejack.ca

But this should cover it after the waiting list is finished right? How long is that...did they tell you?

I am trying to get Ian on the hopeful waiver but that is going to take 6+ months.

until then I have the parent CNA thing. I had to go through another agency, I couldnt get PASCO to answer any calls.

You could apply for Jack seperately through regular medicaid under a long term health care plan?
    married to Derrick
    Mom to
    Ian MPS 3A
    Tesla Unaffected

Give it to God.

Retired Staff - Forum Advisor
    Kraig was on the Illinois Medically Fragile Waiver: http://www2.illinois.gov/hfs/Medical...ges/tdmfc.aspx Illinois version of the "Katie Beckett Waiver". This was very tricky, the child gets points for each piece of medical equipment they need, based on that, if they have enough points then they qualify for the waiver. Kraig had a feeding tube, had an O2 concentrator and portable O2, suction machine, pulse ox, shaky vest, etc. But did not have enough points and did not qualify. I was so upset and couldn't believe it. I had to talk to his Pulmonologist and beg him to rewrite a script for BiPap (he had it at one time, but it was so difficult for him that I sent it back)....anyway after I shed tears the Pulmonologist finally wrote the script....a short time later Kraig was on the waiver. The waiver was so helpful; it paid for his diapers, home nursing care (he was given 60 hours a week of nursing), other copays, etc. His waiver case managers would always attend his IEP meetings, mainly because his home care nurse was attending school with him, our district said that Kraig was the first student in the district that had a home care nurse attend school with him (I still find that hard to believe)...at one of the meetings the district staff was really quizzing the Waiver Case Managers about the waiver program, the Case Managers actually said "this is the best kept secret in Illinois"....I was so upset hearing them say that, why does obtaining services our kids need and deserve have to be so difficult?!?!?!?
    Kris
    Mom to my sweet redheaded angel Kraig (12/3/91 - 10/26/10 dx MPS II) and Chelsey
    "A mother understands what a child does not say"
    Click here to visit Kraig’s Journal