Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 123
Gift ideas for our kids

Thread: Gift ideas for our kids

Forum Committee - Moderator

Gift ideas for our kids

It's that time of year again for many of us, so I thought I would start a post about gift ideas for our kids. It can be stressful to think of ideas, particularly for children who have recently regressed or are in the later stages of MPS. Please share any ideas that you have here!
    Robin
    Mom to Avery, 14 yrs
    ^^Logan^^, MPS II (6/14/03-3/15/15)
    and Kara, 9 yrs

One thing that I have found helpful is to start an online wishlist for Logan. I use Amazon, since you can add items from other sites. I add to it throughout the year, and when Christmas or his birthday roll around, family members can go to it and find out what he really needs. It is usually a mixture of toys and videos that I think he might like and practical items like clothing, bedding, wipes, chewies, etc. I also include more expensive items that people might want to chip in for with others.
    Robin
    Mom to Avery, 14 yrs
    and Kara, 9 yrs

With our older MPS children who don't understand or get excited about gifts, practical is sometimes the best way to go, especially when others want to give gifts. Here are some ideas that might help. Please chime in with any others you might have!

*Flannel sheets
    *Blanket with sleeves (annoying commercials, but very useful for kids in wheelchairs!)
    *Warm socks to keep little feet toasty
    *A case of baby wipes
    *Chewies, chewies, and more chewies!
    *Bibs or bandanas
    *Washable waterproof pads
    *Feeding supplies- cups, special spoons, adaptive bowls, etc.
    *Diapers, if you have to buy them yourself
    *Gift cards for gas, groceries, etc. to help offset the costs of raising a special needs child
    Robin
    Mom to Avery, 14 yrs
    and Kara, 9 yrs

Blog Entries
    To go with videos I know he is different but music; my nephew with HFA adores music when he goes to sleep I think a comfort thing and id imagine our MPS kids might like the soothing sounds to.
    Erica J. Thiel
    MPS I Hurler-Scheier, Age 30
    "Life is A Journey with a Past, Present and Future, But for Now all we have is Today"
    www.rarelydefined.blogspot.com

Electric toothbrush - child size. They maybe more gentle, I have to buy this one myself, and test it out, because Karima can't take the vibration on her gums and the regular size brush bothers her head I guess because of her shunt.

I am making a leg warmers, on the small size circle Kniffy Loomer. It the same way of making a pull on hat, but you leave both ends open. Since it impossible to find warm pants for Karima, she prefers to wear warm shorts in the winter months, and leg warmer when going out. She an adult and can't wear children clothing ... large MPS abdomen, and now a rear end, ... but very short legs with her 4 feet body. I will be making another one for her forearms and to keep the cuff of her wrists and hands warm. A coat is another difficulty with sitting in a wheelchair; and she can't deal with gloves, lucky we don't go out in the winter, unless for a doctor appointment. So Robin, I think a wrap or a cape is a good ideal I just got to figure out how to make one, without interferring with her trach area, you can't block a neck breather.
    Carol
    Aunt and Guardian:
    Karima (5-31-88) Age 24
    MPS VI Maroteaux-Lamy

Quote Originally Posted by carkarrucker View Post
    Electric toothbrush - child size. They maybe more gentle, I have to buy this one myself, and test it out, because Karima can't take the vibration on her gums and the regular size brush bothers her head I guess because of her shunt.

I am making a leg warmers, on the small size circle Kniffy Loomer. It the same way of making a pull on hat, but you leave both ends open. Since it impossible to find warm pants for Karima, she prefers to wear warm shorts in the winter months, and leg warmer when going out. She an adult and can't wear children clothing ... large MPS abdomen, and now a rear end, ... but very short legs with her 4 feet body. I will be making another one for her forearms and to keep the cuff of her wrists and hands warm. A coat is another difficulty with sitting in a wheelchair; and she can't deal with gloves, lucky we don't go out in the winter, unless for a doctor appointment. So Robin, I think a wrap or a cape is a good ideal I just got to figure out how to make one, without interferring with her trach area, you can't block a neck breather.
    Wow, you will be busy! Some lovely ideas there Carol!
    Lots of love and good wishes
    Elizabeth, Peter, Daniel (MPSIIIA born Jan 91) and Samuel (born Nov 93)and Anna Nigina (born Nov 01)
    'I shall not die, but live and tell of the works of the Lord' Psalm 118 v. 1
    Video about Daniel and Sanfilippo,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPG4w92RgbI
    Daniel's web site: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/danielschuepbach

Forum Helper - Moderator
    So bummed. When I ordered Jake's presents I was in the infant toys.

Not sure why I gave all of the old ones to Goodwill. Guess I was in denial 3 years ago.
    Tara

Mom to Hannah and Luke (9 - twins) unaffected and Jake (7) MPS IIIA

Quote Originally Posted by Jake's Mom View Post
    So bummed. When I ordered Jake's presents I was in the infant toys.

Not sure why I gave all of the old ones to Goodwill. Guess I was in denial 3 years ago.
    Yes Tara, I guess so many of us can relate to that. I kept a lot so they were put back into use, but, somehow, with Daniel, it's not the same. He may not be able to do things at a cognitively high level, but he knows somehow these are not for him. It's like how when we are out, he is interested in guys his age and laughs at them. He is not looking at toddlers. Same with TV. He can't cope with fighting, but he somehow wants something with a bit more excitement than the really young things. Sesame street he'll roar with laughter at and films like Yogi Bear, Ice Age, Laurel and Hardy are within his range of tastes.

He gets DVD's, CDs with stories, clothes, Action Men (if you can still find them anywhere), bath stuff, things that you press and they make noise. He has quite a selection of novelty toys that make a sound or song when you press them. Loves these.
    Lots of love and good wishes
    Elizabeth, Peter, Daniel (MPSIIIA born Jan 91) and Samuel (born Nov 93)and Anna Nigina (born Nov 01)
    'I shall not die, but live and tell of the works of the Lord' Psalm 118 v. 1
    Video about Daniel and Sanfilippo,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPG4w92RgbI
    Daniel's web site: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/danielschuepbach

Tara It does get easier to go to the infant department after a while. Honestly, I do not feel bad about the action figures, sports equipment, etc, that Logan might have enjoyed at this age, but the Little People always make me a bit sad. They were his favorites....

This toy was a recent favorite:
    http://www.amazon.com/Infantino-Ligh...and+sound+ball
    Be forewarned that it takes 3 button batteries, but otherwise it has been an absolute favorite of Logan's. He needs toys that are one piece and very simple to operate. We have a lot of toys that play music if you push buttons. He LOVES the Little Tykes instruments. I got rid of the drum, because the concept of banging on it with the drumsticks was too complicated, but the Tap a Tune Piano and the maracas are fantastic. I don't know if they make the maracas anymore, though. We got them for Avery's first Christmas 11 years ago.

He got this one for his birthday a few years ago, and he enjoys it: http://www.amazon.com/VTech-Learn-an...=v-tech+driver

I'll try to think of some others that might be helpful to those with kids who are still more active.

Carol- Wow, you are keeping busy! Good luck getting everything finished. Say hi to Karima for me.
    Robin
    Mom to Avery, 14 yrs
    and Kara, 9 yrs

Forum Helper - Moderator
    Thanks Elizabeth and Robin. I certainly have made sure with the gifts I have ordered to make sure they are only one piece and they make noise and/or light up. Looking for something to engage him for a little while other than the TV, especially with the cold winter months upon us. Jake's birthday is in January so we have to come up with lots of ideas for family too.
    Tara

Mom to Hannah and Luke (9 - twins) unaffected and Jake (7) MPS IIIA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Tara It does get easier to go to the infant department after a while. Honestly, I do not feel bad about the action figures, sports equipment, etc, that Logan might have enjoyed at this age, but the Little People always make me a bit sad. They were his favorites....

This toy was a recent favorite:
    http://www.amazon.com/Infantino-Ligh...and+sound+ball
    Be forewarned that it takes 3 button batteries, but otherwise it has been an absolute favorite of Logan's. He needs toys that are one piece and very simple to operate. We have a lot of toys that play music if you push buttons. He LOVES the Little Tykes instruments. I got rid of the drum, because the concept of banging on it with the drumsticks was too complicated, but the Tap a Tune Piano and the maracas are fantastic. I don't know if they make the maracas anymore, though. We got them for Avery's first Christmas 11 years ago.

He got this one for his birthday a few years ago, and he enjoys it: http://www.amazon.com/VTech-Learn-an...=v-tech+driver

I'll try to think of some others that might be helpful to those with kids who are still more active.

Carol- Wow, you are keeping busy! Good luck getting everything finished. Say hi to Karima for me.
    Last year Target had thee cutest kids guitar shaped like a puppy - my niece (then age 1) and nephew (then age 5) both loved it - and I think it was Circo brand?
    Erica J. Thiel
    "Life is A Journey with a Past, Present and Future, But for Now all we have is Today"

Blog Entries
    ps I know I am not a parent but would the electronic Thomas sets that go by themselves but can go on the 'collapsible' bridges and towering bridges, etc be an idea for some of the kids?
    Erica J. Thiel