Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 123
Prevention

Thread: Prevention

Forum Helper - Moderator

Prevention

Does anyone who went through BMT and/or stem cell transplant with their child have any tips for staying healthy while at the hospital all the time? For caregivers that is. I'm obsessive about hand washing and cleanliness [linens, blankets, clothes, etc ] but was wondering about some preventative diets, supplements, herbs, etc. a little more creative then airborne, Occicilium, vitamin c tabs and such.
    ??????
    I'm wide awake with chills, and sore throat
    Jamie, mother to Jack (MPS II)

www.heresjack.com
    www.savejack.ca

Forum Helper - Moderator
    I can't add anything, but I am sorry you are not well. That is the last thing you need at the moment. Praying you make a quick recovery.
    Sandi

Mum to
    Shannae MPS1 - Hurler Scheie, 6 years old, diagnosed June 2011
    Talia, 7 years old, unaffected

Our blog Around The Bend

Forum Committee - Moderator
    I can honestly say that the air in hospitals dris me out terrible. I have to dirnk constantly when in one. I owuld look at some herbal teas and suck on lozenges with Vitmain C and honey, and maybe some zinc if you can stand the after taste.
    God never gives me more than I can handle, though at times I wish the load was lighter :-)
    Love to you all!

Patty and Jesse
    MPS III A

http://www.caringbridge.org/md/myjesse < click here for Jesse's website

Essiac is a super immunity booster that I would recommend. I get it through Swanson Health Products and they come in 3 forms. Tea, liquid and veggie caps.
    Laurie
    Mom to Clay (5-22-00) dx with MPS II and Jack (5-4-97) unaffected

Forum Committee - Moderator
    We take stuff to keep the immune system boosted all the time and add a little extra in the Autumn. These are: digestive enzymes, zinc and iron for the kids. We all take garlic capsules, fish oils and a general vitamin. We eat masses of fresh fruit and all take Echinacea tablets in the Autumn. We have a supply of herbal teas especially designed for colds and coughs and I add fresh ginger to the tea pot. But I buy these teas ready combined and tea bagged at the Pharmacy. The Swiss are 'into' herbal teas of all sorts and I am most impressed how they really work!

If you have a cold brewing, then inhale with a Eucalyptus based oil in hot water for 5 minutes morning and evening. For the throat, gargle with warm water with a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of cider vinegar in it, several times a day. You will see disgusting brown stuff come out. but it really helps!
    Lots of love and good wishes
    Elizabeth, Peter, Daniel (MPSIIIA born Jan 91) and Samuel (born Nov 93)and Anna Nigina (born Nov 01)
    'I shall not die, but live and tell of the works of the Lord' Psalm 118 v. 1
    Video about Daniel and Sanfilippo,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPG4w92RgbI
    Daniel's web site: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/danielschuepbach

Forum Helper - Moderator
    Thank you thank you my experts and dear MPS friends, you all rock!!!

www.heresjack.com
    www.savejack.ca

Blog Entries
    I spend quite a bit of time w/almost all day (all morning and most of afternoon on mondays and typically a couple hrs for PT and other appts every wk) and have found zinc/copper (make sure if taking zinc you also have copper in it) and Fish Oil keep me from getting sick very much anymore. I used to get sick ALL THE TIME! GL!!
    Erica J. Thiel
    MPS I Hurler-Scheier, Age 30
    "Life is A Journey with a Past, Present and Future, But for Now all we have is Today"
    www.rarelydefined.blogspot.com

Forum Helper - Moderator
    When I will be in situations of greater risk to my immune system, I will take Echinacea, Vitamin C, L-Lysine and drink lots of Purple, Grape juice, this is so good for sore throat.
    Hope you can keep well through these frequent hospital visits.
    Valerie Barnett

Steffany (06/29/95 to 02/26/11) MPSIIIA
    Stevie "BammBamm" (12/14/97 to 12/31/12) MPSIIIA

Forum Helper - Moderator
    Thanks everyone!!!!
    xoxoxo

www.heresjack.com
    www.savejack.ca

Garlic water

Quote Originally Posted by jmeb17 View Post
    Thanks everyone!!!!
    xoxoxo

My grandma used to boil water and pour it over 3 cloves of garlic everymorning.
    She would spend the day drinking that (bits every now and then).

She was as strong as she could be.

I hope you feel better!

Vanessa