Thread: Drinking too much water and throwing up

Forum Helper - Moderator Dani's Mom's Avatar

Drinking too much water and throwing up

Missy Miss has just started this the past month. Anyone have any ideas about it? I am almost positive she is just trying to drink so much water that her belly is to full and then she promptly throws it up. I am hoping I am not missing anything.
    Kelli Boni
    Gabe 3/30/97
    Ethan 11/19/98
    Danica 12/6/05 MPS I BMT 11/9/06
    http://danicaboni.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Have you watched how much she is drinking? First try to detail that if not already.
    Then any other possibe symptoms?
    Erica J. Thiel
    MPS I Hurler-Scheier, Age 30
    "Life is A Journey with a Past, Present and Future, But for Now all we have is Today"
    www.rarelydefined.blogspot.com

It is hard to monitor her because she sneaks into the bathroom and fills her cup. I did call our ped and we are going to do blood work and urine analysis on Thursday to make sure there is nothing wrong with her kidneys. The reason I am overly concerned is she doesn't do this with milk or food just water. Almost like she can not sense when she has had enough. She has to get IVIG Thursday anyway so we will go this course and then try to figure out a course of action.

I am not sure of a good way to keep her from sneaking water from the bathroom other then put some sort of child lock up high on the door because she has figured out how to get through all the standards.
    Kelli Boni
    Gabe 3/30/97
    Ethan 11/19/98

Forum Committee - Moderator Robin's Avatar
    Logan always liked drinking, but for the past few years he seemed desperately thirsty. He couldn't get his own drink, but he would snatch anyone's cup out of their hands. He also peed A LOT. The doctors thought he was peeing a lot because he was drinking a lot (logical), but it turned out that he has diabetes insipidus, which causes him to dehydrate himself by peeing even when his body can't spare the fluids. He didn't have any crises because he was drinking enough to keep up with it. I haven't heard of any other MPS kids with it and it is more likely secondary to his hydrocephalus, but it is worth keeping in the back of your mind. If she had this, she would be peeing a lot, even if she wasn't drinking a lot.
    Robin
    Mom to Avery, 13 yrs
    Logan, 10 yrs, MPS II
    and Kara, 8 years

Thanks Robin I will keep that in mind also. I was just looking at long term effects of her having to have IVIG infusions and renal failure is one thing to look for. My Ped promised me we would have results Friday.
    Kelli Boni
    Gabe 3/30/97
    Ethan 11/19/98

Forum Committee - Moderator louise lewis's Avatar
    I was also thinking to rule out diabetes as I was wondering why she is drinking so much Hope you get some answers
    Louise
    Mum to Georgia (16 yrs, 11.7.95 - 19.2.2012, MPS IIIA) and Christopher
    Fly high sweet Georgie Pie

Georgia’s webpage

I wish she was done with IVIG too!! Hope you get some good answers!
    Dessinna, mother to Wendy and Kaylee mps1-H and Kat and Bruce wonderful older siblings and helpers.

Forum Committee - Moderator ClbsMm2000's Avatar
    I wish I knew. I know extreme thirst can be a symptom of many things. But pray that it is nothing serious!
    ~ Kelly Waddell

Mom to:
    Caleb Allen (12/06/00)
    MPSI- Hurler; BMT (06/21/02)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder,and your hand over my mouth...AMEN..!!

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/calebwaddell