Thread: Tylenol / Acetominophen use

Forum Committee - Moderator PattyT's Avatar

Tylenol / Acetominophen use

I was listening to a webinar last night by Dr. William Shaw of Great Plains Labs. They do a lot of lab testing for Autsim and other related diseases, and spme non related disease. I send a lot of Jesse's labs there for work up. Last night he did a webinar on Tylenol. Here's some thing I have noted from. Bottom, not a good choice of fever and pain reliever.

Dr Shaw seems to be leaning towards it being a major contributing factor of Autism, so what's it doing for kids like ours who already a missing enzyme to break down garbage?

He started out talking about a comparison that was done looking at autism rates in Cuba vs the US. We have a roughly 300% higher autism rate than they do. So he started looking at what things might be different, such as the numbers of vaccines given. Turns out the vaccine rates are about the same. Whats different is that acetominophen isn't available OTC in Cuba, the amount given by RX is strictly controlled (something like 20 tablets max) and it typically isn't used to treat fevers.

So they looked at autism rates to see if there was any correlation between increased use of acetominophen, i.e after aspirin was associated with Reyes Syndrome and there seemed to be a trend. Autism numbers dropped after the Tylenol scares and increased once Tylenol usage increased.

Then he talked about the different pathways the body has to excrete the stuff, ie PST, Glucuronic acid, a cannabinoid pathway, and cytochrome P450 enzyme system (not the pathway you want). The P450 enzyme system converts Tylenol into something called NAPQI (N-acetyl-p-benzo-quinone imine), a nasty compound that gets detoxified by glutathione.

So he explains the glutathione cycle, how its recycled, and how the body produces just whats needed. NAPQI depletes glutathione and inhibits the enzymes that allow the recycling to take place. So if for some reason your body cant use the optimal pathways (sulfation, glucoronidation or the cannabinoid path which isnt so optimal) then your stuck with NAPQI which is toxic to the liver. (Our kids have sulfation issues anyway one metabolic geneticist told me, they need more of it)

So he goes on to explain when youre sick, glutathione levels are likely low and then you treat with Tylenol and its a double whammy to your system. He talked about how NAPQI can cross the placental barrier, so taking the stuff while pregnant is likely just as bad as giving it to a kid in conjunction with vaccines. He also talked about its association with mito disfunction, asthma, allergies. He explains that Too much acetaminophen will cause acidosis. It exasperates asthma. (There is a strong link between pregnant moms taking tylenol and young babies develop wheezing and asthma). Even at indicated doses, it inhibits the division of monocytes.

He also discussed how the byproducts of acetaminophen (when not properly excreted) can lead to malfunction in synthesis of many proteins and creation of neurotransmitters as well as affecting binding sites of neurotransmitters and cannabinoid receptors. There was also a connection drawn to significantly less dendritic branching in the brain (another issue with our kids bain) and areas of the brain like the corpus callosum (and two others which I can't recall the names of) that appeared to be affected by an adverse reaction to the acetaminophen.

There is also some question about the strength and purity of many children's pain reliever's that were manufactured by Johnson and Johnson in some specific plants. Problems have been documented back as far as 2003, but may reach further back in time.

GPL is suppose to start a Facebook page about this. Just an FYI for everyone as many issues in Autism can be issues for our kids too.

They are going to launch three studies and are looking for participants. You can check it out here:
    www.GPL4U.com/study
    Last edited by PattyT; January 12th, 2012 at 05:41 AM. Reason: sp
    God never gives me more than I can handle, though at times I wish the load was lighter :-)
    Love to you all!

Patty and Jesse
    MPS III A

http://www.caringbridge.org/md/myjesse < click here for Jesse's website

Forum Committee - Moderator Elizabeth Schuepbach's Avatar
    It's pretty scary Patty.
    Just to add something I copied from a scientific site:

One of these compounds is N-acetyl-para-aminophenol, which is also known as acetaminophen in the US and paracetamol (from para-acetyl-amino-phenol) in the UK. When mixed with codeine it goes by the tradename Tylenol.

We have to use it for Daniel but he is older and adult sized. Sometimes Ibubrufen instead.
    Lots of love and good wishes
    Elizabeth, Peter, Daniel (MPSIIIA born Jan 91) and Samuel (born Nov 93)and Anna Nigina (born Nov 01)
    'I shall not die, but live and tell of the works of the Lord' Psalm 118 v. 1
    Video about Daniel and Sanfilippo,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPG4w92RgbI
    Daniel's web site: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/danielschuepbach

Forum Helper - Moderator Jake's Mom's Avatar
    That is scarey stuff Patty.
    Tara

Mom to Hannah and Luke (9 - twins) unaffected and Jake (7) MPS IIIA

Forum Committee - Moderator PattyT's Avatar
    We never had great success with Tylenol for Jesse when he was younger, so we always used Motrin/ Ibuprofen. But I never knew it was this bad either, so I too learned some new stuff. I will try and go thru my notes later, as there's a few other things I should hi lite on too.
    God never gives me more than I can handle, though at times I wish the load was lighter :-)
    Love to you all!

Patty and Jesse
    MPS III A

http://www.caringbridge.org/md/myjesse < click here for Jesse's website

Blog Entries
    Tylenol is normally not mixed with codeine in OTC - that is a prescription product schedule III I believe (how well controlled by Govt/FDA).
    Thanks, Patty, ive sent this to my sister.
    Erica J. Thiel
    MPS I Hurler-Scheier, Age 30
    "Life is A Journey with a Past, Present and Future, But for Now all we have is Today"
    www.rarelydefined.blogspot.com

Forum Committee - Moderator ClbsMm2000's Avatar
    We generally use Motrin with Caleb, but have used Tylenol in the past. Especially when preparing for surgery, because the hospitals tell you not to give them anything but Tylenol!
    ~ Kelly Waddell

Mom to:
    Caleb Allen (12/06/00)
    MPSI- Hurler; BMT (06/21/02)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder,and your hand over my mouth...AMEN..!!

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/calebwaddell

Forum Helper - Moderator Laura Brodie's Avatar
    so over here for children its just paracetamol is this your Tyenol ??just checking -hardly use it as will has long lasting Ibrufen tab but still worth knowing some of the babies at my school get it prescribed constantly called 'Calpol' here? is this the same?
    Laura
    Mum to Will dx with MPS II and Lily!

'It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;what is essential is invisible to the eye' The Little Prince by Antoine De saint -Exupery

Forum Committee - Moderator louise lewis's Avatar
    Yes Laura, I think it's paracetamol - we use it for Georgia, as she is not able to have much ibuprofen. For children, you're supposed to use a paediatric form of paracetamol (Tylenol).
    Louise
    Mum to Georgia (16 yrs, 11.7.95 - 19.2.2012, MPS IIIA) and Christopher
    Fly high sweet Georgie Pie

Georgia’s webpage

Blog Entries
    Paracetamol is Acetaminophen here in the States and comes in infants, toddlers and older formulas OTC and then also in combination medications such as with codeine a form of pain med.
    Erica J. Thiel
    MPS I Hurler-Scheier, Age 30
    "Life is A Journey with a Past, Present and Future, But for Now all we have is Today"
    www.rarelydefined.blogspot.com

eek! Our Dr. has us give tylenol before every infusion, now I am questioning whether I want to do that anymore!! Do others use this protocol??
    Stephanie and Andy Glock
    Travis Glock 10/28/08, MPS 1 H/S ERT since 5/27/11
    William Glock 04/06/12, Carrier
    http://glockvt.blogspot.com/

Forum Helper - Moderator Laura Brodie's Avatar
    We used to uses parcetamol at each infusion but it stopped quite early on once we were on home I think after about 3 months but it depends on each child etc
    Laura
    Mum to Will dx with MPS II and Lily!

'It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;what is essential is invisible to the eye' The Little Prince by Antoine De saint -Exupery