Thread: Flipped unobstructed bowel

Forum Helper - Moderator Alericosmom's Avatar

Flipped unobstructed bowel

When Alerico was in the hospital a few weeks ago,they said he has a flipped unobstructed bowel.There is a paralytic elious below it. The surgeons came in and wanted to do surgery for it. Then they said he had it in December when he was in the hospital(,which I knew) but it was there when we went home,which I didn't know.That explains why he isn't tolerating his feeds. We used to bolus his feeds and now we went to an elemental feed at 175 an hour 1/2 strength.
    So I told the surgeons & Dr's there that I wasn't going to let them do surgery because Alerico wouldn't make it through another surgery,and that I was taking him home. No more tests or surgeries on him. Have any of you heard this before?
    Tina Lucero.
    ^^Alerico^^

Noriana 13 unaffected,My Rock

Tina I never heard of that.
    I hope Alerico is ok?
    hugs to you both
    Anne and Sebastien
    Keep hope close to your heart,
    as a cupped hand protects a flame
    Sebastien has severe Hunter syndrome

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sebastiencairns

????Never heard of this before? Is he having touble with BMs? Does it hurt him? I am so sorry he is going thru this!
    Valerie Barnett

Steffany (06/29/95 to 02/26/11) MPSIIIA
    Stevie "BammBamm" (12/14/97 to 12/31/12) MPSIIIA

Forum Committee - Moderator Elizabeth Schuepbach's Avatar
    Never heard of this. Could you describe it a bit Tina? Flipped just conjures up weird imaginings.
    Hope Alerico is not in pain with it.
    Lots of love and good wishes
    Elizabeth, Peter, Daniel (MPSIIIA born Jan 91) and Samuel (born Nov 93)and Anna Nigina (born Nov 01)
    'I shall not die, but live and tell of the works of the Lord' Psalm 118 v. 1
    Video about Daniel and Sanfilippo,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPG4w92RgbI
    Daniel's web site: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/danielschuepbach

Forum Helper - Moderator Alericosmom's Avatar
    His bowel is flipped but not all of the way and there is nothing inside the flipped part according to the last x-ray. A parylitic eliouse is where the bowels stops in an area and causes extreme constipation. The eliouse comes and goes with him. It requires "bowel rest" which is basically stopping feeds and giving him gatorade at 42 cc an hour 24/7 for a day or 2.
    But I am worried about the bowel being flipped.
    Can it flip further?
    Will it flip back to where it's suppose to be?
    I've heard of dogs & horses dying from a flipped bowel,is it the same for Alerico?
    so scared about it. He doesn't tolerate his feeds well anymore and gets constipated a lot. Sometimes I do think it hurts him,but it's hard to tell.
    Tina Lucero.
    ^^Alerico^^

Noriana 13 unaffected,My Rock