Thread: G-Tube Stoma Drainage

Blog Entries

G-Tube Stoma Drainage

Chloe's G-Tube has been draining alot here lately. We have to keep it covered with a bandage so she won't pull out the Mic Key tube out again. For the past few days it has been a light colored green drainage. I called her GI doctor and they said as long as she wasn't running a fever not to worry about it. She said maybe I need to put more water in Chloe's G-Tube?? What are your thoughts on this?
    Jodie Key, Proud Momma to Chloe Victoria Key who went home to be with The Lord on 10/02/13 (MPSIII-A) and Shelby Leann Key (unaffected)

I would probably pull the water from the balloon to see if it may have a small leak. Have you actually take the g-tube out before? It really is not hard. Pull it out and reinflate the balloon to check for a leak.
    The yellow drainage could also be old formula not yet digested all the way. Cameron's will do this sometimes also.
    Monica
    Mom to the "CAMERONator"
    (Hunter syndrome, 13yrs.old)

Forum Committee - Moderator louise lewis's Avatar
    Light green drainage doesn't sound good to me can you get it swab tested? Georgia's mic-key site was a bit gunky about 2 months ago, not so much because of drainage, but more of a 'discharge', which was clear/pale yellow, with redness around the site - we got it swab tested & she had thrush! so she needed treatment to clear it up.
    Louise
    Mum to Georgia (16 yrs, 11.7.95 - 19.2.2012, MPS IIIA) and Christopher
    Fly high sweet Georgie Pie

Georgia’s webpage

Retired Staff - Forum Advisor Barbara Pryor's Avatar
    The light green drainage can be the stomach juices. You can put some neosporin on the gauze around the g-tube. Ask the doctor for some kenelog cream. You put it around the stoma and it helps shrink it and it stops the leaking too.

Check the water in the balloon like Monica said. Sometimes the water level goes down. We put 5cc in David and Jessica's.
    Barbara
    Aunt to Andrew (MPS II)

Medically Fragile foster parent--I have 2 sons, Shawn and Ryan. I have an adult foster named Cecilia and I foster a set of medically fragile twins Jessica and David.

Andrew's website
    Ryan's website

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the info. Chloe is going to the doctor today, just to make sure
    Jodie Key, Proud Momma to Chloe Victoria Key who went home to be with The Lord on 10/02/13 (MPSIII-A) and Shelby Leann Key (unaffected)

Forum Committee - Moderator Robin's Avatar
    Logan always has a bit of drainage which dries to a sticky crust under his Mic-Key button. We've been told that this is normal drainage. It's not a lot, but it does sometimes get on his shirt. I tried using gauze under it, but he would just rip the gauze off. I finally made some washable pads that fit under it, and they work well. It keeps it clean and dry, and he hasn't had any irritation. I usually only have to change the pad once or twice a day. Unlike the gauze, he doesn't pull them off. If it ends up being just "normal", you might want to try something like that. I'd be happy to tell you how I made them if you or someone you know can sew. You can also find them online.
    Robin
    Mom to Avery, 13 yrs
    Logan, 10 yrs, MPS II
    and Kara, 8 years

Blog Entries
    Well, we had to call the dctor today because the drainage was unreal, NOT NORMAL! Plus, we noticed some tissue coming out of the stoma. The GI doc was on call today and said it was granulation tissue, not to worry, to bring her in Monday morning and they would put some silver nitrate on it. It is hard for me not to worry, but he told me to chillax, this was normal, and to keep it clean and he would see her MOnday morning. Why couldn't they just call in a prescription for the silver nitrate and we could've put it on???

Forum Committee - Moderator Robin's Avatar
    Logan has had granulation tissue all along. He's had it removed 3 times, and they finally taught me how to do it. Silver nitrate comes in sticks that look like a big match stick. They just touch it to the granulation tissue, and it kind of dissolves. It's definitely not something that they would have just called in for you. Some docs will let parents do it at home, but others won't. Our PA wasn't sure, but the doc told her to go ahead and give them to me. I haven't tried at home yet, since it hasn't grown back enough to cause problems. Granulation tissue does cause an increase in drainage. The main reason we've had it removed on Logan is that it seems to hurt him when I clean around his Mic-Key button when he has it, plus it bleeds easily. They say that some people have it and others never do. It can also stop forming after a while, although not in everyone. It is definitely normal and hasn't been a big deal for us.
    Robin
    Mom to Avery, 13 yrs
    Logan, 10 yrs, MPS II
    and Kara, 8 years

When Jasmin shows signs of granulation I put a small amount of hyrocortisone cream around the hole once a day and it clears after a few days - nurse told me this trick. Jasmin had extreme leakage once and we got it swabbed and found she had an infection so she had to have anti-biotics for a week and it cleared up. You are very right to see the doctor about the stoma as it is an open wound area and can get infected and possibly turn nasty if not treated.
    xx
    Ria

Proud Mummy to Jasmin (MPS3a)
    2nd October 1998 - 1st March 2011
    Fly high my Princess

William has a light brownish discharge every day. Sometimes I can smell the vanilla from the formula, but much less than when we first got the MIC-Key on July 6th. The tracheostomy pads work pretty well. They come with his feeding supplies. We had an episode where it was bleeding and it looked like a little of what you call granulation. I just kept it clean and it stopped bleeding in a couple of days. The other day he kept fussing, but different from the crying he does when he is peeing and that issue. I couldn't figure it out and then I noticed that the big bath size drool towel was hanging off of the tube to the bag and Yikes! pulling his feeding tube way out. I thought that was going to cause some sort of trouble, but it didn't. Never a dull moment around here!
    Chris

William severe MPSII age 23
    Kat age 19

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your replies to my post.

Blog Entries
    Chloe did go to the doctor yesterday and they put the silver nitrate on the granulation tissue. Her daddy had to take her (I had to work) and he said as soon as they touched the tissue it turned grey, they touched it again and it started to bleed. I guess it kinda "burns" off the tissue??? I am glad that was all there was to it, they should tell you these things when they first get the feeding tubes. Then again, maybe they did, and I forgot, I dunno.

Lucas had granulation build up within 2 weeks of getting his gtube...freaked me out ... They gave us a prescription after they "burned" his off at the office...We keep non woven drain sponges on his and apply a steroid creme on it twice a day when it returns. The friction of the tube moving seems to cause his to come back if not covered ... I am also still getting used to the occasional stomach contents and sometimes bowel contents that come out every once an a while when we vent him ....
    STACEY M~~
    MOM TO LUCAS ~ 17 Sanfilippo MPS III -B
    MARIAH ~ 23 CHELSEY ~ 19 HAILEE ~18
    WIFE TO LEW MiMi to Serenity
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/hopeforlucas