Thread: splint or afo wearing after achilles tendon surgery~

splint or afo wearing after achilles tendon surgery~

Hello~~
    Emma had her achilles tendon surgery done three weeks ago and will be getting her cast off Thursday . They are going to make her another cast that can come off for baths etc, plus make her a AFO to wear in her shoe.
    My hubby is not understanding why she has to wear a splint/afo long term, because he thinks thats the reason we had the surgery done, so that she wouldn't have to wear an AFO.
    My question is, for those who have had this surgery done, do your children wear AFO's most of the time or do they just get physio regularly to keep the stretch?? I was thinking that a night splint, which is a cast, cut and velcroed so it can come off and on easily would be good and she would wear it at night while she is sleepig and during her nap. This would make it about 10 to 12 hours of wear.
    Let me know what your experiences are and what your kiddies are doing post achilles tendon surgery!!
    Thanks in advance~~
    BECKY, VERY PROUD MOMMY TO :
    EMMA-LYNN AKA PRETTYGIRL MPS1- 6 YEARS OLD BMT 09/29/05 5 years ago
    BAILEY JOSEPH - 12 YEARS OLD The BEST big brother and son in the world!!

Re: splint or afo wearing after achilles tendon surgery~

Danielle my youngest had her heel cords streched a few years back, She had to wear the AFO'S for about 12 hours a day also..I don't remember how long..maybe a month..Then it went down to 6-8 hrs down to 4.This was over about a years time, and it was usually during school hours, so I did not have to put them at night, just on weekends.. (just at the beginning)Now Danielle still has to wear her AFO"S in school so she can go in the stander at school, not sure if it's school policy or state, but it's for about 45 min to an hour a day, however long she can handle,She does not wear them at home..It seems our kids have to wear the AFO"S longer because of the chance of the cords tightening again, this has not happened to us, But I know it has happened with other kids..Danielle's feet have stayed flat. Possibly because of the AFO'S staying on so long.I hope this was'nt too confusing.. Hope this helps
    THERESE

BRYCE 21 YRS UNAFFECTED CARING OLDER BROTHER
    SARA 13 YRS MPS III A..7-7-1994~10-15-2007
    DANIELLE 12 YRS MPS III A

When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure
    God answers knee mail

It's hard to fake a smile when your heart can barely breathe

Retired Staff - Forum Advisor Paulina Jump's Avatar

I am glad she is getting her cast off. Andrew never had this done. Many prayers!
    Many hugs and prayers,
    Paulina

Mom to ^^ Superman Andrew^^ MPS III B 10/09/1997-05/19/2009 G-tube, VP shunt and Alex 12 and our twin angels Christian & Cody 12/07/1990
    Visit ANDREW'S WORLD

Praying that she does well.
    Misty

Our son, Will was diagnosed with Sanfilippo, MPSIIIA in June, 2007. He is 6, born February 10, 2003. His loving older sister Nicole is 10.
    http://www.miracle4will.com