Thread: Strangulated Hernia and What to Look For!

Forum Committee - Moderator Tami's Avatar

Strangulated Hernia and What to Look For!

I figured I should update about this. Because I know this has been a topic for a LONG time.

As some of you know, Sam had this problem the night before the run. However, I think I should give the long version of the events and how you as a parent will really know when this is a true problem. Because I started praying for any answer and post that would tell me we did NOT need surgery, only because it was her big 16th birthday party.

So, this is how Sam’s Strangulated Hernia went….

Wednesday Night…. She started throwing up, No Fever just vomiting. I figured it was just nerves for her big birthday party. So I snuggled up with her and we went to bed.

Thursday Morning she was still sick and complaining that her “Tummy” was sore…. I checked and her hernia was rock hard and warm. I tried everything possible that I read on the forum to get it back in. I tried putting her upside down…. Warm packs …. Everything I could read about or think of to do… I tried it!!! I did feel gas pass thru the hernia at one point so I just kept praying that she could hold out until after her party. Jenny flew in and even if she was still vomiting and not eating, she was feeling better to have Jenny with her.

Friday Morning….. I knew we were done. She was pale white and had been vomiting since 5am. Her hernia was larger, hot, and rock hard. All she wanted to do was sleep. I gave her two choices. Go get her hair done for the party or go to the hospital. She wanted a third choice. Sleep until it was time for the party. I knew we were off to the ER but I told her to try to get her hair done. I Prayed that if she could make it through the hair appt then she might make it to the party. Well sadly, she spent most of the time at the salon vomiting in the bathroom. Terri took the girls down so I could get the last minute things done for the run. You know that gut feeling that your child needs you NOW!!!! Well… so do I all too well, and I had to drive to the salon right that second. I walked in and Sam just looked at me and said it was time to go to the hospital. I took her home, accessed her port and took her to the nearest ER.

It was very funny. Donny met us there and the ER doctor asked what was wrong. I really was not paying much attention to him. Just giving the facts and telling him, she needed surgery. After the doctor left, Donny started laughing and said “Damn Tami! You are not suppose to tell them the diagnosis…. He went to medical school, He wants to tell you!!! LOLOL. After the CT scan the doctor walks in and says “Your right she has a strangulated hernia!” I told Donny I was praying he would walk in and say, “See Mom, you’re not so smart! It is just gas!!!” Hey one can hope!!!!! So they transferred her to the nearest Ped Trauma Center and they had the OR ready for her.

The bottom line is……… You WILL KNOW if a hernia is strangulated or not!!! It is like the worst flu you have ever seen…. With NO Fever…… And a rock hard hernia!!!!!! Your child will be very very sick and there will be no doubt in your mind that the hernia is strangulated!!!!!!!!!
    Hugs,
    Tami
    Mom to Jake 23 & Sammie 19 MPS1/ ERT
    Sammie also dx Desmoid tumors (If you were wondering why the chemo, St Judes, ect)
    http://www.mpsrun.com
    http://www.caringbridge.com/ca/slawson
    http://www.youtube.com/MPSrun
    "He who has faith has hope; and he who has hope has everything!”
    "Be the Change you wish to see in the World~"

Retired Staff - Forum Advisor Barbara Pryor's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing Sammie's experience with us. It is good to know what the symptoms are.
    Barbara
    Aunt to Andrew (MPS II)

Medically Fragile foster parent--I have 2 sons, Shawn and Ryan. I have an adult foster named Cecilia and I foster a set of medically fragile twins Jessica and David.

Andrew's website
    Ryan's website

Tami,
    Maddie and Spencer have both had hernia repairs done under duress. Both were at the same point that Sammie's was. Laynie's hernia gets bad from time to time, but so far, I have been able to reduce it every time. I know there will come a time when I won't be able to. And just like poor Sammie, hernia emergencies happen at the worst possible times. Last year the girls and I were on an out of town get together with all their closest friends.

I know there was absolutely nothing you could have done to reduce Sammie's hernia this time around, it was just time for a repair. But I should mention that my kids have responded to mild sedation (50 mg benadryl or tylenol PM plus a muscle relaxant). It is much easier to reduce a hernia if your kid is asleep of very relaxed.

Somehow, someway we should be able to cash in on all these weird abilities we have developed in this life. Maybe the medical anomaly olympics or we could publish a book about best home remedies for really odd problems. Tell Sammie I love her best of all, and you too, of course.
    Amy
    Mom to Spencer Maddie and Laynie (all dx with MPS-I, Hurler Scheie)

Tami, thanks to you for sharing a very informational account. You are a caring and wonderful mom. You are also a good teacher for us -- as good as a professor.
    Bob Vircks

Forum Committee - Moderator Tami's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3coolkidsmom
    But I should mention that my kids have responded to mild sedation (50 mg benadryl or tylenol PM plus a muscle relaxant). It is much easier to reduce a hernia if your kid is asleep of very relaxed.
    OMG Amy that is so funny!! I gave her morphine before trying to reduce it too.... Great minds think alike!!!
    Hugs,
    Tami
    Mom to Jake 23 & Sammie 19 MPS1/ ERT
    Sammie also dx Desmoid tumors (If you were wondering why the chemo, St Judes, ect)
    http://www.mpsrun.com
    http://www.caringbridge.com/ca/slawson
    http://www.youtube.com/MPSrun
    "He who has faith has hope; and he who has hope has everything!”
    "Be the Change you wish to see in the World~"

Retired Staff - Forum Advisor Priscilla Raftery's Avatar
    Tami
    Priscilla
    Mom to JOSEPH FRANCIS RAFTERY MPS IIIB
    October 22, 1988 ~ January 21, 2010
    Good Night Sweet Prince; and may flights of angels sing thee to thy rest

Retired Staff - Forum Advisor Paulina Jump's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing Tami!! Many hugs to your family.
    Many hugs and prayers,
    Paulina

Mom to ^^ Superman Andrew^^ MPS III B 10/09/1997-05/19/2009 G-tube, VP shunt and Alex 12 and our twin angels Christian & Cody 12/07/1990
    Visit ANDREW'S WORLD

How sad that had to happen at that time. Anyhow it must have been a relief to get things going toward fixing her up.
    Chris

William severe MPSII age 23
    Kat age 19

Thanks for sharing the info.
    Mommy to Alyssa 8yrs. old, MPS1 H/S Alyssa gained her Angel wings March,11, 2009