PDA

View Full Version : A couple days of worry

momtoty
April 8th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Sunday morning Ty woke up with blood crusted in his hair, up by his shunt! I took him to the bath, and noticed he had a fever (101.5) and was very tired and not himself at all. I cleaned off the blood and found that Ty's head was oozing blood and a clear liquid right at the site of the incision of Ty's shunt. This had already healed up, no scabs left or anything. So I was so worried- why would he be seiping from that spot on his head? Shunt infection! I thought. I called his Neurosurgeon's office (which I have to tell you, instead of having an answering service for afterhours, they simply leave the on call doctors cell phone number! I was amazed) I got in touch with one of Dr Swift's partners immediately. We discussed Ty's condition and both felt that he should be closley watched for a few hours, and if he had any change for the worse- I would bring him right in(they are 4 hours form me- I don't think the doc realized this while we were talking) Dr Sacco said that generally a shunt infection would not present this way- but you never know. So, Ty remained tired and febrile the rest of the day but did not get worse- his level of conciousness was good- he was just cranky and tired. So monday morning began the three days of doctors and hospitals. No one really knew for sure, but the consensus was that Ty had a virus and was "kicking" out some of the internal stitches from his shunt incision. These two items were completely seperate from one another- just a very strange coincedence that they happened at the same time.
What we do know, today 4 days later, Ty's head looks a little better- the one spot of bleeding is healing up however two more "blisters" popped up and I am told this is probably just more stitches. He does indeed have "hand foot and mouth" virus and is having a terrible time with it. His poor little throat is covered in ulcers and he can't eat or drink! he has lost 2+ pounds already.
As far as the shunt infection goes- It looks like he does not have one , Thank God :angel:
During this time, our 10 year old son, Clay, broke his wrist skateboarding- so another day at the hospital. He will be fine- just a hairline fracture.

Thanks for listening!

zachiesmom
April 8th, 2004, 03:22 PM
:group :group :group
Kim, I am so sorry you have had such a worrisome week!!!! I guess it really does Pour!!! (when it rains..) So Ty does have an infection, Well at least his body is doing what it is suppose to and fighting it!! As for Clay, :roll: BOYS!!!!!!! :smirk: My goodness, you need more than a few hugs, you need a drink :P !!!! I hope Ty feels better soon though and Clay gets back to being a typical boy. Glad to hear what a good experience you had with a doctor for a change. :wink: Give Ty a kiss from his pals here and yourself a big pat on the back for being a very good mom!!!!! :angel:
Keep us posted on Ty and take care of yourself!!! I'm thinking very long bath!!! :cloud9 :whistle :sleeping2

Love, Brenda

Cynthia Anhalt
April 8th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Oh Kim, I'm sorry you are having such a rough week. I guess it's always something. I hope Ty is feeling better soon. We are thinking of you!
Love,Cynthia

Laura Brodie
April 8th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Kim, What a horrid week! Hand /foot and mouth can be really nasty especially with our babies :roll: I hope both Ty and Clay bounce back soon :bounce: and you get some much needed relaxation ! Thinking of you all Love Laura

Sheila George
April 8th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Kim,

I am so sorry you and Ty and the rest of your family have been through so much lately. I can relate and totally understand.
:group and :kiss: to you all.

momtoty
April 8th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Thanks everyone! :D It made me feel better just to hear your kind words. :angel:
Love,
Kim

The Rea Family
April 8th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Kim,
I'm sorry to hear about your horrible week.
I hope things get better soon.

Barbara Pryor
April 8th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Kim,
Did the doctors give you anything for the mouth ulcers? It sound like you need some nystatin for him to swish around a little bit and then swallow. They had Shawn on it after his kidney transplant and it was very helpful when he did get the mouth sores. He would actually ask if it is time to take it yet. Hopefully everything bad is out of the way and you can have a good easter. Give both boys a :kiss: and a :group and tie pillows to their whole bodies so they can be safe so that there is no more hospita visits. :lol: I start the day off with the kids telling them that I do not have time to go to the hospital today so they better be good and not be sick.

Anne Cairns
April 10th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your week
Hope Ty and Clay get better soon :sick: :group
Anne

rickys1mom
April 11th, 2004, 02:09 AM
You guys have sure been through a lot this week Kim. Hope everyone is feeling better very soon! And mom can get a well deserved rest. I just heard on the news yesterday that there was an outbreak of hand, foot and mouth disease. Little did I think I hear of it from one of "our guys"!
Take care,
Anita

DebbieV76
April 11th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Oh Sweetie!
Hugs all around! Praying life gets back to normal (whatever that is for all of us! :)) really soon!!

Blessings,
Debbie

Sharon Cochenour
April 11th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Kim, What a horrible week. Hope things are getting better. :group
Sharon

momtoty
April 11th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Thanks everyone!
Ty is finnally feeling better! and Clay has adjusted well to his cast- I think he actually thinks its cool- 10 year old boys :? go figure.
I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter and/or Passover. :angel:
Love,
Kim