PDA

View Full Version : One Last Ride

harry
April 2nd, 2004, 11:25 PM
What can I say...

I re-joined this Forum on the 18th of March an things were as normal as could be expected. However, on the morning of the 21st, we took our son in to the hospital as he was not eating. The doctors said he was suffering from a case of aspiration pneumonia, something Geaff has had before. Unfortunately, this time he did not respond to any treatment, and by Thursday afternoon, it was obvious he would not be pulling through. We brought our little guy home with us Thursday to spend his last few days with us. He lasted one night. On Friday, around 2:00 in the afternoon, I held Geoff in my arms on our living room sofa. He was making gurgling sounds and struggling to breathe. The fluid build up in his lungs was just so great, there was little we could do. Should we pound him on the chest to get him through this moment, only to have it happen later, or should we should let him go. His whole body tensed up for what seemed like an eternity, but really only lasted two minutes. He had stopped breathing and then finally, for the first time in seventeen years, his body relaxed. He died in our arms as we hugged and kissed him.

Since then, events have just kind of happened around us. A memorial service was held for Geoff at our local Legion Hall on Wednesday, with some 200 folks attending. It is now Friday night, April 2, one week after Geoff's departure, and the relatives and friends have all gone. Lorraine and I are now left to let reality sink in.

Right now, we don't know what to think. Seventeen years has come an gone in the blink of an eye. We wouldn't trade one moment of them for anything. Geoff is now at peace. Below is what appeared in our local paper last Tuesday.

Geoffrey Harold Meech
Mar. 13, 1987 - March 26, 2004

His pain and suffering lasted too long.
For those who loved him, he went too soon.

The incredible journey of Geoffrey Meech has not ended, but only come to a crossroads. Here on Earth, the path he travelled was a rough one, yet he faced all challenges with a love for life and a determination to survive. We have carried him for as long as we could, but he has now joined the company of others. We trust his new path is an easier one, leading him on to eternal peace. We do not mourn his passing, but celebrate his life.

Geoffrey leaves behind a throng of family and friends to keep his memory alive forever. Parents, Harry and Lorraine; brother and sister, Michael and Sheila; grandparents Vic & Lil Passmore; special Aunt and Uncle Sheila and Jerry Marcoux; Aunts, Uncles, and cousins John, Elaine, Clifford and Scott Meech; Libby, Gord, Katie, Tim, and Robbie Duncan, Andrea and Mike Matheson; Chris, Dale, Brigha, Emma, and Bronwyn Meech; Frank, Cecile, Adrean, Crystal, Vicki, and Nicole Passmore, Jordan Menu; as well as special friends and caregivers Christine McClary and Nancy Vernon.

His service consisted of music performed, words spoken, favourite lullabies sung, and many tears shed.

I have since compiled a Cd of music that was a combinatoion of songs played and performed at his service. Nine songs certainly cannot sum up a life, but they can help us remember and hope. For those that are interested, you might want to give them a listen if you can find them or have them.

Blackbird by the Beatles, Circus by Eric Clapton, Sweet Baby James by James Taylor, Pisces Fish by George Harrison, Imagine by John Lennon, Ripple by the Grateful Dead, Imagine by John Lennon, Turn, Turn, Turn by the Byrds, Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton, and Over the Rainbow by Eric Clapton.

To those of you still mangaing the care of precious gifts, soldier on. Don't stop for a minute living, loving, and enjoying your children, all your children, for all of their remarkable qualities. When the time comes to reflect, there will be no guilt, shame , or anger... only love.

Blessed be to all...

harry

**Edited by Jessica to make as a sticky topic so it will remain at the top.

Priscilla Raftery
April 3rd, 2004, 12:10 AM
Harry... Oh Harry...I am so sorry. I know how very, very much you love Geoff. I read your emails and felt the overwhelming compassion and understanding and companionship you shared with him. I know you are in shock, that it could all end so suddenly. I can't even imagine your pain ~ but I feel it. I just cannot control my tears; I can barely see to type. I know you spent many, many hours sitting with Geoff on the couch and relishing every moment with him. I know that you surrounded your life with him. I remember you telling me about your walks with him after supper and how he thought it was ok to go to anyone's front door and be welcomed. I know he was very, very blessed to have you for his dad. I know he couldn't have been more loved. I know that he is ok now...perfect, whole, happy, and at peace. Harry, I am so very sorry for your pain and your loss...I am just so sorry. Priscilla

DebbieV76
April 3rd, 2004, 12:29 AM
Oh Harry,
I too am crying as I type. I am so very sorry. Geoff was a blessed young man to have you for his dad. I will keep you all in my prayers. You took the time to make memories with him...for that you will never be sorry, and I pray that it will bring you comfort in the time ahead. God Bless you.
with love,
Debbie, Rich, Jon and Jason Vanderpool

momtoty
April 3rd, 2004, 01:44 AM
Harry,
I am so so sorry for your loss. The worst thing for a parent to go through is to loose a child. I wish this was something none of us ever had to face. It sounds like you and Geoff had a wonderfuly close relationship, and tht you really got to enjoy each other, what a blessing for you both.
Thinking of you and your family, and praying God comforts you in this time, and always.
Love,
Kim and Ty

MelI
April 3rd, 2004, 02:29 AM
There really are no words to describe how very sorry I am for your loss. My boys and I will say a special prayer for Geoff during their bedtime prayers tomorrow evening. It's something we always try to do...

You're in my thoughts...

Melanie

Jessica
April 3rd, 2004, 08:59 AM
Harry & Family,
I'm so very sorry for your loss. You are such a good Dad and I know that you and your family have been blessed by Geoff's presence these past 17 years. I pray that you will continue to be blessed by him and can find peace in the days to come.
Thinking of you and keeping your family in my prayers,
Jessica

Anne Cairns
April 3rd, 2004, 09:36 AM
Harry I am so sorry .
Anne and Sebastien

The Rea Family
April 3rd, 2004, 10:07 AM
:cry: Harry,
I don't know what to say, except that i'm so sorry for your loss, and you and your family are in my prayers. :cry:

Paulina Jump
April 3rd, 2004, 10:39 AM
Dear Harry, It breaks my heart to read your post. We are with you, we are so sorry for you and your family. You are in our hearts and prayers.

Paulina, Colin, Andrew and Alex

Sharon Cochenour
April 3rd, 2004, 11:17 AM
Harry
I am very sorry to hear about loss. I am glad you have many special memories of Geoff to help in your heart, to help ease your pain and to get through these hard times. We will keep your family in our thoughts and prayers.
Sharon

Raines Family
April 3rd, 2004, 12:34 PM
Hi, You don't know us but we feel as like we know you. We are so very sorry for the loss of your son. We all have to know that he is in a place where there is no more pain. I can't even image what you are going through but you are in our prayers.

Laura Brodie
April 3rd, 2004, 01:43 PM
I love the music you chose to play to remember Geoff by.I am so sorry for your loss you are in our thoughts Love Laura

THEmps2mom
April 3rd, 2004, 05:47 PM
Harry & Family,
I'm very sorry for your loss. I'll be thinking of you and keeping your family in my prayers. (((HUGS)))

mom2cris
April 3rd, 2004, 06:20 PM
I truely feel for your family. I am soooo.... sorry for your loss. You are in our thoughts.

Nilda and Cristian (MPS III A)

DarlaMay
April 3rd, 2004, 07:28 PM
Harry and Family,

I am so sorry for your loss. I will pray for your peace and emotional healing tonight.

:group

ArtHolb
April 3rd, 2004, 08:44 PM
Harry and Family,

I'm so sorry for your loss. We will keep you in our prayers.

Art

Barbara Pryor
April 3rd, 2004, 10:29 PM
Harry,
I don't know what else I can say that everyone hasn't already said. I am sorry to hear about your loss but I am glad that Geoff got to spend time at home with you before he passed away. It is hard for all of us to hear about another child lost to MPS. At least Geoff is at ease now and is watching over the rest of our angels here on earth. :angel:

rickys1mom
April 5th, 2004, 02:57 AM
Dear Harry,
Please accept our deepest sympathy for your loss. You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Anita

April 5th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Dear Harry. I am so sorry.I am praying that God will give you the graces to ease your pain. I am so sorry.
Rosemarie

Sheila George
April 5th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Harry,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, but it was good to read your earlier post about how much time you got to spend together. I hope those memories will help you through this difficult time.

Rebecca
April 6th, 2004, 01:47 PM
I am so sorry for your lose. We will have you in our prayers!

aaronsmom1027
April 6th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Your family will be in my prayers :cry:

Trisha Athy
Mother to Aaron (MPS1-H)

zachiesmom
April 6th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Dear Harry,
I am so incredibly saddened to hear of Geoff's passing but only from earth, He will always be right here in all of our hearts!!
Our family will be thinking and praying for you to somehow find your way through this new chapter in life. Please know that we will all be here for you whenever you need us!!! God Bless you and the rest of your loved ones.

Sincerely, Brenda, John & Zacharaiah Haggett

Vibe
April 6th, 2004, 03:51 PM
It so sad to hear that your boy have died. I can't say I know how you are, but I know how sad its to say godbye to someone you love, and knowing you never gonna see him/here in this life. :cry: That is sad to think of.

But you have the good memories, keep the good memories in your heart.

Thought from Vibeke.

Forands
April 7th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Harry, my deepest sympathies. I just cannot imagine what you are going through. Let me know if there is possibly anything I can do. Hope to talk to you soon.

Deidra Hicks
April 7th, 2004, 08:35 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Deidra,