PDA

View Full Version : Health shake that looks good maybe for MPS children too??

PattyT
March 12th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Hi,

I have been doing a lot of research on health foods over many years just to see what's out there. I am usually skeptical about too many herbal things, just because of testing and quality assurance. But this shake I came across on CBN's page looks like it could be beneficial for some of us. Has anyone used this or anything similar with their children? I thought I'd try it on my husband and I first and see what happens over several weeks. Here's a link to the page with the recipe and some facts about the ingredients. I've done further research on the ingredients and it looks like everything in it could benefit my Jesse.. and my husband and I too, unless it promotes too much energy, then I would think twice about it.. LOL! :order:
Let me know any opinions or thoughts you might have.

http://www.cbn.com/community/health/robertson/shake.pdf

Patty and Jesse

~edited by Jessica to fix the url brackets

Jessica
March 12th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Patty,
It won't show me the page unless I join. :frown:
Kaity has shakes every morning. Not so much an "energy" drink but I do believe much of her good health is because of the diet drinks and foods my Mom put her on. I make her enough meal shakes to last throughout the day, along with high protein meals.

For her drinks she has Shaklee Meal Shakes, French vanilla. Just the drink alone provides all her vitamins and much of her protein. And we haven't even got to the food yet. :)

We had to put Kaity on this diet because she was not taking in enough food to fulfill a healthy diet.

March 12th, 2004, 12:20 PM
I have asked our Geneticist about diet and wiether it would help Seth or atleast slow down the progression and he said "good question, but diet doesnt matter" Is this what everyone is finding out about diet with MPS or are your kids on special diets? If they are, what are some things I could try with Seth? what kind of diet should he be on? He sort of just eats anything he wants, except for the stuff that he has problems swallowing like ceral with milk (he can have them seperate but not together). :?
Misty

Sheila George
March 12th, 2004, 03:28 PM
We were told the same thing that diet did not make a difference with MPS, but I know some families use nutritional supplements or shakes and they have reported some good results. It seems that everyone has their own preference and that so far no one that I know of is using any one particular product or combination of nutritional supplements. We tried one particular brand but we were very unsuccessful in getting Shelby to drink it. As a matter of fact I have several cans of it in my pantry, it was so expensive I cannot throw it away, but it probably is not even good anymore. :)

PattyT
March 12th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Here is the recipe for the shake on that web site. Just looking what all these ingredients can do for a body, all seem very beneficial for Jesse at least, joints, digestion, eczema etc. My husband and I have started it as of Thursday morning, I can feel the energy difference in two days. I 'll let you know about my joint pains in a few weeks. (Tendonitis, carpol tunnel and more) The apple cider vinegar in it's unprocessed form is suppose to be really beneficial for filtering out toxins etc. Anyway here's the recipe if you want to do some searching on the internet about the benfits of all these ingredients. After we've been on it for about a week, we will probably start Jesse on a six ounce serving and see if there is any effect on him after a couple of weeks. :angel:

6 - 8 ounces of orange juice (water, other fruit juices, low-fat or skim milk can be substituted)

5 tablespoons soy protein isolate
5 tablespoons whey protein isolate
2 tablespoons natural apple cider vinegar with the so called "mother" in it
1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
1 tablespoon safflower oil

2 tablespoons (or more) soy lecithin
1 teaspoon MSM powder
1 teaspoon glutamine powder
5 - 6 frozen strawberries (other fruits can be substituted)
Non-caloric sweetener to taste
4 - 5 ice cubes (optional, use for a colder shake)

In a standard blender, combine the above ingredients. Blend until the shake is smooth and the ice cubes are crushed.
Optional ingredients you can try:
2 tablespoons non-fat plain yogurt or 1 banana (gives more body to the drink)

I used both banana's and plain yougart so far and the strawberries too now, the shake is actually good tasting too. Sunday we're going to try skim milk and blueberries with all of this.

Enjoy,
Patty and Jesse... Oh P.S. I have noticed that the less white breads and sugars I use, the better seems to do. He does well on veggies, meats, and some fruits, but I have to watch which fruits because he does get loose bowels from some, and he does much better on soy products than dairy products with lactose. :bounce:
[/b]

March 12th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Thanks Patty I will do some checking on these ingredients for Seth, But I am always looking for something to help me have more energy.
Thanks again,
Misty :)

Jessica
March 12th, 2004, 06:12 PM
I've been on the Atkin's diet off and on for two years. Sounds like something I would drink (cept the apples & bananas). :D

To me, any extra vitamins and protein cannot hurt an MPS child. I've noticed a lot less illnesses since Kaity has been on Soy and high protein diet. (About 4 years now) Maybe it's just fate...I don't know. But she is almost 13 so something must be going right!

You have to understand we had to do something with her. She was no longer able to swallow solids. My Mom found Shaklee products and we've been using them since. A bit expensive, but I found a lady (bless her heart :angel: ) who orders all the products at cost for us. I simply told her our situation and she volunteered.

Good luck with the shakes!

Anne Cairns
March 13th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info
I will have to try this for Sebastien!
Anne :wink: