PDA

View Full Version : potty training and MPS II

March 3rd, 2004, 06:30 PM
Hey guys,
Heres something I have been thinking of for the last day and a half, because of my recent run in with the stupid nurse that I posted about in the emotions section of this forum. Seth always backs himself in a corner or hides when he is pooping (he wears pull-ups) and heaven forbid we try to get him to move while he is "taking care of business". I am wondering about potty training and if it is feasable, developmentaly for a Hunters child. Because he is self-consious while pooping makes me think he might be ready to try potty training again. He will be 5 in april and everytime we try to get him in the bathroom he acts like he is scared to sit on the potty chair or toliet. The teachers at school have said that he goes in the bathroom there and a couple of times they heard him "tinkle". We have praised him a billion times for those 2 times at school, but it didnt help him want to do the same at home. All we get at home is screaming and crying. I think one of the hardest parts of dealing with Seth is I dont know what he understands and what he doesnt. Any ideas on how I csn try to get him to understand that he needs to learn to go potty in the potty chair??????
Misty :?

The Rea Family
March 3rd, 2004, 09:26 PM
Misty,
I 'm sorry that I don't have any advice for you, but I am not yet dealing with this type of problem.
Christopher is 4, and still not potty trained, not even interested.
But due to his small size(he's about the size of a 2 year old), it hasn't become an issue yet.
I just wanted to say that I hope things start going better for you soon.

Barbara Pryor
March 3rd, 2004, 10:08 PM
Misty,
My nephew Andrew is somewhat potty trained. At school they take him about every hour and he goes most of the time. I think they said about 75% of the time. At home he does cry a little bit but of course we are taking him away from Pooh or Rolie Polie Olie and he doesn't like that. I usually sit with him, at my house, on the tub while he is in the bathroom. We take him first thing in the morning as soon as he wakes up and he always goes. It is hard with Andrew because he doesn't talk and can't tell you when he has to go.
Maybe if you play some cheerful music while he is in the bathroom he might go then once he gets used to it. Andrew has always been grumpy going to the bathroom at home but is always good at school.

Cynthia Anhalt
March 4th, 2004, 12:42 AM
Hi Misty, Conner is 6 and not potty trained. He has gone on the potty a handful of times through the years, but my 2 year old daughter has gone more than he ever has. I believe he is capable, however, he has absolutely No interest. Maybe he's not mentally capable??? Anyway, good luck, our kids are all so similar, yet so different!
Take care!

:dance Cynthia :dance

Deidra Hicks
March 4th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Hi Misty,
I wish you much luck. I was unable to get B.J. potty trained.
I tried for the first 5 years of his life(now 10.5 years old). I think it was to much for him to understand mentally. Once I decided to let it go, he began to do better in other areas of his life.

Deidra,

Jessica
March 4th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Kaity does not have Hunter's, but I was never able to completely potty train her either. We (me, she, her Dad...everybody!) just got so tired of trying. It was too much strain on everyone, especially her so I just quit pushing the issue.

Priscilla Raftery
March 4th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Joey (Sanfilippo) was potty-trained by the age of 31/2 (day & night). It was a huge struggle for us, but I had no idea :? whatsoever there was anything "wrong" with him at that point. I had three daughters before him, so I chalked it up to not being used to boys. He began forgetting his bathroom skills around the age of 10 (throughout the years he always did have accidents, though. I thought it was because of his hyperactivity and not paying attention to the 'signs' that he had to go until it was too late). He's been back in diapers for 5 years now, but he still has success when we toilet him! :D :D :D We and his school toilet him several times a day and he knows why he's there and does both, poop and pee (sorry to be graphic but hey, we're talking MPS here! :wink: ). Toileting is actually on Joey's IEP as one of his strengths. OK, so I wanted him to grow up to be a professional football player (Tom Brady woulda had nothin' on my boy :smirk: ), but I'll take success on the potty any day! :D Priscilla

THEmps2mom
March 4th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Kraig has never been fully potty trained, but we do have toilet skills on his IEP. He has some success using the toilet, but I don't push the issue. He still wears pull-ups or diapers all the time, we're just happy that he will go on the toilet occassionally.

Tami
March 4th, 2004, 12:08 PM
I laughed when I read this...... I had the same problem with Jacob. I swear it must be a boy thing! Jacob loved to "go" in his closet until he was 6! :lol: It took forever to break him of that habit. Yelling didn't work, begging didn't work, nothing worked until he decided he wanted to go in the potty. He wasn't fully potty trained at night until he was 9. My husband and I would just laugh and say well he can explain it to his wife!!! :kiss: It was not worth worring about!

Sami was easier, I would watch to see what time of the day she would go (not an easy thing with our MPS babies) and I would take her in the bathroom and read her stories while she sat. She was potty trained by age 5 but at night not till age 8, although she still has "pee" accidents. Not fun for a girl at age 12 :(

Good luck and don't try to stress about it too much. He will do it when he wants to. :lol:

Hugs,
Tami

Laura Brodie
March 4th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Hi Misty,
I have decided not to push Will(mps2 4 yrs) with potty training. He sounds just like Seth -backs into a corner etc.He won't sit on the potty but does seem to know he is going and squats etc and won't move from where he is! I just decided it was a step to far for him and now I've made the decision I feel better.( by the way I've trained 100 of kids at work -so I know a bit about it :lol: )I really don't think Will sees a connection between the potty and whats happening! Love Laura

Sharon Cochenour
March 5th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Misty
I think I time train Andrew more than anything. He will go to the potty first thing in the morning, and I sit him on the potty about 45 mins. after he drinks. He will also go after getting a bath. As far as the poo poo thing. I'm not really that successful. I just run him to the potty if he is grunting or getting red in the face. I continue to try, but don't stress out about it, and he always wears pull ups. Because of the Hunters and his CVID, they both make him have diarrhea. It just helps to cut down how many I use a day. :D

Sharon

ChrisMPS2
March 5th, 2004, 03:16 PM
William used to find recess a "moving experience" and he would go in the center of the big pipe dome thingie that the kids climb on. The bad part was that then one of the aides would have to miss part of recess changing his diaper.

I tried to potty train William when he was 4 or 5. He peed on the floor danced in it and ran off laughing. That was when his mental abilities peaked so I didn't really try after that unless he started making grunts while in the tub. Then that worked out OK sitting him on the toilet but I had to hold him steady. I did see a potty chair in Abilitations catalog that has like a slanted table or platform that they lean on. I think William might have liked that in his younger days. His problem was always balance when sitting on the toilet.

zachiesmom
March 6th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Wow,
Even though we are not MPS ll, I have these same issues with Zachie! He totally knows when he has gone poopy and even wants to change his diaper but it doesn't even phase him when he is peeing all over the floor or in the tubby, :whatthe?: I really don't think he has a clue that it is happening! He's pretty aware of most everything but that,( and I mean literally THAT equipment).. not a clue!!! I have never had the issue of him finding it and being curious, I don't even think he knows it exists, how am I suppose to expect him to point it in the right direction :? He also can't manage the normal potty at school, even in preschool, the potty is too tall for his 2 year old size and he can't hold himself up on it either, his arms have almost no srtength at all to balance himself. He'll be four in August and I honestly don't foresee it happening anytime soon! :frown:

March 7th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on potty training. So basicly everyone is saying dont worry about it? I am more afraid of how the kids will treat him at kindergarten if he is still wearing pull ups next year. I guess I will not stress about it to much more and do what all of us as parents do ALL THE TIME and thats is to wait and see what happens and not stress about the little things. Thanks again for all of your thoughts.
Misty :)

Hallhunters
May 26th, 2004, 04:09 PM
hi isaac is 4 in august has no sensation in going to the toilet , his upset tummies overrule him being able to go as it comes one after another and another without a flinch in his attitude facial expressions and he likes the taste too!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

ChrisMPS2
May 27th, 2004, 04:17 AM
Uh-oh! Sounds like you need some sort of alarm to go off when Isaac needs a diaper change! :hum:

My little nephew is almost three and not talking for some reason. He is so cute. He goes in his room when he has to poop and he gives a hand signal if you try to go in there when he is taking care of business. It looks just like he is saying "talk to the hand"! I want to take a picture to show his girlfriend when he gets older but I have resisted so far! :8):