PDA

View Full Version : Pull-ups

Cynthia Anhalt
March 2nd, 2004, 09:21 PM
Does anyone know where I can find Goodnites brand pull-ups for less $ ??? Kroger has their own generic brand that are the same as the Goodnites, for a lot cheaper. But they come in such small packages. It's getting quite expensive to diaper 2 kiddos, so if anyone has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it! Thanks! :)
Cynthia

Sharon Cochenour
March 2nd, 2004, 09:41 PM
Cynthia
I also buy the generic Kroger brand of goodnights, but am able to turn in the receipts to my flexible spending account for reimbusement. I would be interested in bulk quanity also.
Sharon

Sheila George
March 2nd, 2004, 11:11 PM
We used to get the Goodnites at WalMart (yes I know the dreaded WalMart) and they were generally cheaper than Kroger. They carried them in a double pack for around $12 I think. It has been a couple of years since we used the Goodnites so I am not sure what they run now. We had to go to ordering them from a Medical Supply company to get a bigger size for Shelby, but I believe they turned out to be cheaper than the Goodnites when we switched. Now they are actually more like diapers than pull ups but they run $50 for a case which is 80 diapers. If this is cheaper and anyone is interested I will get the name and number of the company for you.

ChrisMPS2
March 2nd, 2004, 11:59 PM
Is your county for Houston Harris County? I looked on their website and all they seem to offer was what they called "last resort" help for items pertaining to the disability. In my county we all get a group rate on diapers delivered to the door and then we pay a sliding scale with families making under $30,000 getting the diapers free I believe. It's extremely well organized and I love having the diapers delivered. We get 2 cases of around 90 each for $64 which is a lot of diapers for the money! It might not hurt to ask your county if they have some diaper delivery service set up and a group rate negotiated.

We have just started using diapers called Wings because William was leaking out of the sides now that he is laying on his back a lot when he isn't in his chair or being held. They work great!

Sheila George
March 3rd, 2004, 12:49 AM
Unfortunately Harris County is one of the most heavily populated counties in Texas. We did get reimbursed for diapers last year, but got put back on the waiting list this year after the Govenor's budget cuts. I have heard that depending on what county you live in in Texas the waiting lists are not as bad. The program for the diapers reimbursed us 80% so it was nice while it lasted. The percentage you were reimbursed did depend on your income. I have not heard of a certain supplier where you can get the diapers at a group rate. I will have to check in to that.

Priscilla Raftery
March 3rd, 2004, 10:29 AM
Cynthia, can you get your doctor to write a prescription so the diapers would be covered by insurance? If not, I would go to your local medical supply store. I'm sure they could find a brand to suit your needs and they buy in bulk. Good luck ~ Priscilla

Cynthia Anhalt
March 3rd, 2004, 12:38 PM
Thanks for all of the great tips. Randy is looking into our benefits with our insurance company. If we can't get the pull-ups covered, I will try the medical supply. It's just the principal of spending this much on diapers and pull-ups, they are so ridiculously expensive. I guess the fact that we've gone through so many packs this week really got to me. Conner has a terrible stomach bug. Not to mention strep throat and pink eye in both eyes. Yuk! :sick:
Thanks again, I'll keep you posted! :)

:dance Cynthia :dance

Sheila George
March 3rd, 2004, 01:25 PM
Sorry to hear that the kids have been sick. Poor Conner seems to catch everything. I hope he gets over everything soon. Hopefully the better weather will help, except for now allergies start!! I hope Jamie gets to feeling better soon, too. Hugs to everyone!! Tell Conner Shelby's mom said hello :hello

THEmps2mom
March 3rd, 2004, 02:50 PM
Our state cut out the diaper program, too, last year because of budget cuts. :( Basically, if your child has spina bifida (sp?) then they will pay for them, otherwise, your on your own. They have received numerous complaints over this "wonderful" cut back, maybe they will reinstate the program one of these days. Why would anyone put their 12-year-old child in diapers unless it was medically necessary?!?!?!?!?!

Sheila George
March 3rd, 2004, 02:53 PM
Kris,

That is how I feel about the insurance companies denial of paying for the diapers, too. It is a medical necessity and I do not see how they can get away with not paying for them.

THEmps2mom
March 3rd, 2004, 05:43 PM
I know Sheila, it's crazy. Our primary insurance will not cover diaper expenses, when Kraig got this secondary insurance through our state I was so happy to get diapers covered. He was getting 3 cases a month, it was like Christmas. Thankfully, I stock piled the diapers, because we never used that many diapers in a months time. Now that the diaper benefit has been taken away, I am still using the extra diapers, however, my supply is dwindling away.

My BIL works for a med supply company and previously was able to purchase the diapers for us at his cost (10% above company cost). That saved us a ton of money, and I guess that's what we'll have to do again once my supply runs out.

Sheila George
March 3rd, 2004, 05:53 PM
Yes, we stocked up on diapers last year, too, but we ran out about two months ago, but the extra diapers lasted about 6 months for us so it was nice.

Jessica
March 3rd, 2004, 06:05 PM
I wish our insurance would cover diapers too...and enemas, and nutrition supplies...and, and...everything else Kaity needs! BUT especially diapers and enemas.

To me those are medical necessities. I hear parents complain because they have to diaper their healthy children for a few years. Let them try almost 13 years, and a lot longer for some other members on here! :frown:

Sheila George
March 3rd, 2004, 06:12 PM
Just think of all the things we could do with all that money, well at least we can deduct it on our taxes if we itemize. Trying to look at the bright side. :)

THEmps2mom
March 3rd, 2004, 06:30 PM
We could all go on a really nice vacation if we didn't have that diaper expense. I hate spending money on something I know is just going to be thrown away, but we gotta have them.

ArtHolb
March 4th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Here in the Mountain State we had problems getting any services at all. Our Dr. started writing scripts for everything. Then our Dr. wrote a script for hospice care. Now Hospice provides diapers, formula,enemas, all meds then they fight with the state to get things paid for. When we heard the word Hospice it concerned us, however they have been a great asset in caring for Moriah. They act as advocates in all aspects of her care. They have been able to arrange Dr. visits through the back door basically so we don't have to have to wait. They take your fight to whomever they need to.

Hard Fact - Hospice is end of life care, however there doesn't have to be a time frame given as long as your Dr. recommends their services and ........

You know, maybe if anybody would like more info they can e-mail me, and I would be glad to share.

Art

Jessica
March 4th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Hard Fact - Hospice is end of life care, however there doesn't have to be a time frame given as long as your Dr. recommends their services

A lot of people think that about Hospice Art. They worked with us right after Kaity's diagnosis, but I told them I didn't need them after about six months. Sounds like I should have kept them around!

They told me from the beginning that they provide tons more services than "end of life" care.

Great point ...

Laura Brodie
March 4th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Jessica, Its the same over here our hospice provides loads of other help and support -like getting meds straight away and other services -sort of smoothing the paths!!!But I did feel like you at first and nearly gave up except they wouldn't let me! :wink: :wink: Now i,M glad of their help love Laura

Sharon Cochenour
March 5th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Shelia and Kris,
I know just how you feel about paying for diapers. I just found out in the last 2 weeks, after fighting with the insurance company that normal 6 yr. olds don't wear diapers, that I can turn in my reciepts and get reimbursment. The only problem is I have almost exhausted all the money on meds. Next year I am going to increase the amount and then save all the reciepts untill right before the conference and turn them in for money to go to disney. :D

As far as Hospice, Art is exactlly right. When I worked for oncology we would beg people to let them help, but everyone always thought it meant end of life, and we would have to explain it means help with life, and to please let them help. I'm glad you have let them help you.

Sharon