PDA

View Full Version : I hate Super Marts!!!

Jessica
February 27th, 2004, 11:22 AM
For those that weren't reading in the Medical Issues section, you may be a little lost, so here's the scoop. My topic on skin care got off on another subject which gave me the perfect opportunity to try one of this forum's features...Splitting a Topic!! Isn't that just too cool?

The original topic was about skin care but Jessica sort of took it on another turn. :D I split the topic leaving the skin care problems in Medical Issues and brought all the bad mouthing about Wal-mart to its own section. :D

Original Post:

A few members on this forum know that I recently had to close my business. (Thank you Priscilla and all, for being so supportive). I worked very hard for three l-o-n-g troublesome years trying to keep the doors open, but it didn’t happen. Three years doesn't sound like a long time until you are going broke! Then it seems like forever! :shock: With the economy being so bad in Indiana and the Super Wal-mart in our small town, I just could not compete.

Perhaps I shouldn’t blame Wal-mart for what they’ve done to ‘small town USA’, but I do! I’ve seen too many small businesses in my town shut the doors since 9/11. Who better to blame than Bin Laden and Sam Walton. :D

So anyway here I sit. I shopped yesterday but not at Wal-mart! I’m sure I could have found more on the list you guys provided if I had dropped my pride and went on in, but I ALWAYS first shop with the ‘little guys’ to see if they can help.

Our downtown area is so quaint and there is a drug store there that caters to old time ways. The building has always been a drugstore/soda fountain, and they still serve sodas! I love walking in there. It is a brief glimpse back in time.

They did not have the shampoo I was looking for but they did have one made by Neutrogena for dandruff, so I bought that one. They also had Aquafor and Cetaphil!!

I rushed back home and gave Kaity a bath in her new products. We’ll keep our fingers crossed! I also used the Aquafor on my dry chapped hands before going to bed. WOW! Just overnight made such a difference!

Thank you all for your help. I don’t know what I’d do without you!

~Jessica

And a postscript…

The downtown, quaint drug store I shop at supplies all of Kaity’s enemas (she has one a day). When I told them what I was paying at Wal-mart and other places, they started selling them to us at pharmacy price. I bet Walmart would not have been so generous. :) *Wal-mart rant mode off*

Sheila George
February 27th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Jessica,

I am sorry to hear about your business. I did not know you had to close it. I understand your feelings about Wal-Mart. I am originally from a small town in Oklahoma and they did the same thing to all our small businesses and our little downtown area almost collapsed. I do not totally boycott Wal-Mart but I avoid them as much as I can. I mostly hate them now because they are all Super Centers and are just too much walking. I am glad that you have found a nice pharmacy that works with you. That is the nice thing about small businesses, more personable.

Priscilla Raftery
February 27th, 2004, 12:38 PM
The exact same thing is happening here on Cape Cod, it's just terrible! All the WalMarts and Home Depots are destroying so many people's businesses and their lives. Jay and I talk about this all the time. It is changing rapidly here and Jay's own business is suffering, also. Not because of the big stores(he owns a painting company), but because of the illegal immigrants who come in and under-cut his prices and aren't even in business legally. Jay has to pay workers comp and liability insurance and pay for a house and family. These people (and I am not being judgmental or prejudiced, it's just how things are) share housing and do not pay these insurances so they get the work by bidding lower than Jay. I think, when I have more time and have the strength, I might start a new topic where we all might share a little more of our struggles in our lives, in addition to the whole MPS life.
As for the "WalMart Rant" I say, you go sister-coconutter! Priscilla

Jessica
February 27th, 2004, 01:08 PM
It is wonderful that we have people on this forum that understand life with an MPS child, but like Priscilla said, sometimes the MPS child is not the only issue in our lives! My store was another baby of mine and now it is gone. Although this baby was a HUGE BRAT, it was still my baby. :D

I think another topic about "other issues' in life would be great!

Thanks guys for your support. I think things happen in life for a reason. I'm not completely out of things yet as far as my business! When one door closes another one opens.

Since the store has been gone at least I've had time to build web sites again, including MPS Forum Dot Com! If Priscilla starts another thread I'll tell you my good business news that happened last night...wooohooo :!:

Sheila George
February 27th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Ahhh, don't make us wait. Start one yourself!! :)

Laura Brodie
February 27th, 2004, 02:20 PM
We had the same problem over here -we live in a suburb of a big town but it called a village and a new shopping centre opened near by and slowly all the small bakery/fishshop/butchers disapeared. We still hold onto our chemist/pharmacy run by a father and son who can get me anything I ask and will even bring it up to the house if I'm stuck!! :) I'd rather pay more and keep the village atmosphere! lOVE Laura

Anne Cairns
February 27th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Here in toronto is the same thing ,I feel we are so inundated with the big box stores ,there is no warmnest to them whatsoever.
I would so much prefer going someplace where people call you by your name,smile and thank you at the end ....
it would be so much more pleasant .....
Jessica I am sorry you had to close your business :cry:
Anne

Jessica
February 28th, 2004, 10:14 AM
It's a shame that the flow of Super Marts is not only a problem in the U.S, but obviously WORLD WIDE!! :roll:

As far as my good news! I had a zoning meeting Thursday night. In order to conduct business at your home in Indiana you have to get a variance. They come to your home and check the premise to make sure it is safe for the public.

The only thing I was really worried about was my driveway. :shock: It can be hard to see sometimes when you pull out.

Brian and I got to the meeting. There were only 4 people on the docket. We were second in line. I was so nervous because the first guy was on his fourth attempt at getting zoned. The board literally tore him apart and after several minutes denied him (once again) on operating at his home because of HIS DRIVEWAY! :shock:

Jess is a bit nervous at this point. :D

Brian and I took our turn at the microphone (Jess did all the talking :? ) and explain what we want to do and how we wish to carry on our retail business from the home. We stood there about five minutes total, answered a few questions and then they voted...it was so fast!

No one objected so I'm zoned to do business! :D

Like I said, now I can still keep my hands in it a little.

Sheila George
February 28th, 2004, 10:28 AM
That is great news, Jessica!! I am so happy for you.

Laura Brodie
February 28th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Well done Jessica! Thats great news Love Laura :P

Priscilla Raftery
February 28th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Congrats, congrats, congrats!! :) You deserve it, Jessica, you sure do work hard! Now, will you have some sort of catalogue to order from? Send one our way if you do! Priscilla

Jessica
February 28th, 2004, 09:48 PM
I think I'm going to try and devote more to internet sales! I'll let your hubby know when that happens! I already do quite a bit of sales on line but mostly to internet buddies. I'm hoping to broaden my horizons even more than that. 8)
~Jess

Rebecca
February 29th, 2004, 11:29 AM
:D Dont forget me!!

If I want to start my own web design company......I will need a site that I can say that I built and help maintain for people to go look at!!!!!

I can do it!!!

And I would only charge you.........coffee! :idea:

Sharon Cochenour
February 29th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Jessica
What good news. I also believe that things happen for a reason. We may not know why at that time, but we will eventually be given the answer.
I also do not like super Wal-marts and do not shop there. I live in a small town that still has several small businesses where they know you by name, especially Andrew, every one know him.
I do find that I shop over the internet more than I ever have. I think it is the convience and not having to constantly be distracted by Andrew in a store.
Sharon

ArtHolb
March 1st, 2004, 10:04 AM
Jess, I have been in business 17 years and have struggled 17 years. Over the last three years we had to downsize from 70 employees to 8 employees. Mainly, you guessed it, because of the big guys. But, everything happens for a reason and now because we are smaller I can devote more time to first passion, My Kids.

You know how everybody frames the first dollar they make in their business. I found out why, because someday your gone to need that dollar. :lol: :roll:

Art

Jessica
March 1st, 2004, 10:16 AM
I still have mine too Art! :lol: Of course I'm keeping my license here at the house so the dollar fits nice in the frame with it. I'm keeping mine too! Never know when it could be my last! :whatthe?:

The Rea Family
March 1st, 2004, 06:59 PM
I just wanted to say congratulations Jessica. :)
We also have the same problem here with the Super Wal Mart.
Ours is fairly new, and it brings in much more traffic to this small community than any one wants. :(
The whole community fought to not have it built, but you just can't beat big business, no matter how hard you try. :mad:

momtoty
March 2nd, 2004, 01:00 AM
Jessica,
I believe things do happen for a reason, and that God has it all planned out in advance. :angel: I think He probably has a very special plan for your new buisness venture, I'm so happy it worked out for you. As for the dreaded super stores, I am in aggreement. We live in a "planned community" which in and of itself is like a "people super store" in some ways. I really disliked it when we first lived here, :frown: its so anticeptic, so "stepford-ish", so many rules, and zoning issues, however the one great thing is, there is no room for a super store!!! don't get me wrong, our little town is surrounded by them we have a super walmart on three sides :omg and a super target brings up the rear!!!! but, our "town" holds many little boutiques, small hardware stores, and other great family owned stores and restaraunts. Most of us, the people in Kingwood, frequently shop at the small stores, in leu of saving a few bucks at the superstores. We can justify it by saying we are saving gas money by not going over the bridge for our shopping. At many of these stores, if Ty has fallen asleep :sleeping2 durring our errands, I can call ahead, tell them "Ty is sleeping" :sleepy and they will bring what I need out to the car, :cool: and conduct the transaction curbside for me. That is worth the few extra bucks, not to have to wake a child who rarley sleeps, and drag him into a huge, loud, bright, superstore (generally full of coughing people spewing their germs all over my immune surpressed baby) :sick:
Well thats my tyrade :8): for today. I'm sorry the superstore moved into your town, hopefully with this new business, you will be immune to them. :wink:

Paulina Jump
March 2nd, 2004, 10:03 AM
Usually when we go to the super walmarts Andrew clears the shelves. I offer to pay. :lol: They just :roll: and clean up the mess.
So i quess he is getting even for you Jessica :hello

Paulina

Jessica
March 2nd, 2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks for all the support!

To funny Paulina...WAY TO GO ANDREW!! I'll come and visit and take Andrew down the Miracle Whip isle. :8):

zachiesmom
March 2nd, 2004, 11:11 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh my goodness, Paulina, I can't stop giggling!!! See Jess we are all rooting for you!!!!! :D

Priscilla Raftery
March 3rd, 2004, 10:24 AM
Paulina, your story of Andrew in WalMart reminded me of this story. Several years ago the kids and I went to a job site to bring Jay some coffee. I've never been to this neighborhood before and knew no one there. Well, as we're sitting outside with Jay to take his break, a woman walks by and smiles and says, "Hi Joey!". I said, "You know my son?" She replyed, "Not really, but I was shopping the other day and you were in the store and all I heard from aisle to aisle was, 'Joey, put that back!', or 'Joey, don't touch that!', or 'Joey, keep your hands in your pockets!' :lol: :lol: :lol: I miss those days, soooooooo much. :( Priscilla

Sheila George
March 3rd, 2004, 01:27 PM
:rofl: What cute stories.

THEmps2mom
March 3rd, 2004, 02:54 PM
Priscilla, I got a chuckle out of your story. :D Isn't it funny though when someone you don't know says hi to your child. Kraig knows so many people, several whom I don't even know. Almost every time we go some where, someone is saying hi to him . . . . I hate it when I don't know who the person is, usually I do, but sometimes I don't.

Priscilla Raftery
March 3rd, 2004, 03:20 PM
Well Kris, that has happened several times with Joey in the past(people saying "hi" to him that I didn't know).It's because Joey used to go up to everyone and I mean everyone with his hand extended ready for a shake and say, "Hi, I Joey! Hi, I Joey!" Complete strangers, didn't matter to him! :roll: They called him "The Little Mayor" in school because he knew who everyone was! :lol: Priscilla PS I think we're getting away from the WalMart rant...sorry :frown:

THEmps2mom
March 3rd, 2004, 05:46 PM
Priscilla, that's so sweet, what a friendly little guy you have.

Okay back to the rant . . . . I don't like the Super Wal-Marts or Wal-Marts in general for that matter. I have been known to shop at them on occassion, but I have to keep it a secret from my hubby . . . he's a union man and Wal-Mart is not to union friendly.