PDA

View Full Version : CPR

Paulina Jump
February 23rd, 2004, 09:54 AM
My brother in law is on the local fire department here in Sparta. He was telling one of the emt Barry about Andrew. Barry decided to teach my entire family CPR and help us put an emergency plan in place. Gave us some material to use in case of an emergency. I still amazes us how wonderful people are. Paulina

Rebecca
February 23rd, 2004, 09:59 AM
That is absolutely wonderful!

It is a blessing when people come together to make the world a better place! :)

Jessica
February 23rd, 2004, 10:36 AM
Give me a big Whooo Rah for the local fire department! Got to love 'em :D

Laura Brodie
February 23rd, 2004, 06:47 PM
Paulina,
Thats a really good idea -to be prepared! When Will was last rushed into hospital with face swelling up in front of my eyes I just panicked and ran around like headless chicken!! Since then I have a bag packed ready with essentials and phone nos etc!!
I used to tease my friend cause she was brought up to always have a hospital bag packed on top of her wardrobe :lol:(pessimistic or what) but now I know she was right!
Another friend gave birth prematurely at home on her own and when she asked her partner to buy a nighty for the hospital he came back with a see-through negligee!! :roll: She kept the hospital gown on! Love Laura

Sharon Cochenour
February 24th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Good idea about the emergency plan. My local fire department knows about Andrew's Hunter diagnosis. They have information about Hunters also. The only thing is they suggested a medical alert braclet in case he had to go the ER and I wasn't around. (My husband isn't on top of things like mothers are.
Sharon

zachiesmom
February 25th, 2004, 04:37 PM
I recently was going to get Zachie a bracelet until we had his MRI done last week and he freaked out about everything that was attached to him, band aids & hospital identification bracelet.
Do any of you have similiar tactile issues like this and have you figured something different out? I would love any ideas because I too am worried about the "what if" scenario. His school has an emergency notice for him up where he is but I worry about a fire or accident. Any suggestions?

Laura Brodie
February 25th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Hi,
Will really hates those bracelets too! He will not wear a hat or gloves until I have held them on him for quite a while and retrained him! Of course that makes me feel dreadful so I only do it if its below freezing and he absolutely must wear them. Will's school has a picture info by all phones and in register and staffroom too.All the children at my school do to if needed ,its common practice here. At my school we have badges@safe sticky ones to label when absolutely nessacary ie. just after a seizure or eg. bump to the head. Its a visual reminder to all staff to take extra care and to follow procedure exactly. It also means the parents always are alerted as the child is picked up and given correct info.
Love Laura

Sheila George
February 25th, 2004, 06:33 PM
I have not gotten one of these yet, but have been thinking about it. It is actually an ID tag for runners, but I thought it would work good for our kids because you can put it on their shoe. http://www.roadid.com/id.asp

Paulina Jump
February 26th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Sheila, that is exactly what we have for Andrew. They sponsered our MPS 5k and they gave Andrew an id for free. We only live about 20 min. from their office. A father and son made this company together. Paulina

Sheila George
February 26th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Paulina,

That is how we heard about them, too. They sponsored our run. We also got certificates to get one for free so I have no excuse for not getting one!! :roll: Just have not done it yet.

Rebecca
February 26th, 2004, 09:18 AM
There is another issue that I think you should think about too.

I am a car seat technician. :shock: It took me four days to learn about car seats. I was blown over at what I learned and everything I was doing wrong! :oops: I know all of my children would have died if I had to of crashed because of my mistakes.

My thoughts go to you not about restaining your child but by making sure that your seats are labeled. If you are in a crash, first responders and firemen are the first to arrive. If you have sustained injury and can not tell them about yourself and child that is obviously with you, who will tell them about your special kids. :? Most responders would be clueless!

My concerns stem from: :oops: (forgive me that I can not remember the childs name that these stickers were made from and the story is probably not exact...sorry but here it goes!)

A babysitter that was just running down the road from her house has severe accident. The child in the back did not get injured badly at all but the babysitter was killed. They took the child to the emergency room and the child was without relatives for several hours because the babysitter did not have any kids and no one knew she was sitting. So, they had no idea who this child belonged to.

Here is the problem that I want you to think of. Your children have special needs that should be known as soon as the first responders arrive. What I think would be helpful is a small label place on their car seat or attached to it like one of those travel labels that says something like this (will use Kaity as an example)..........

Hi! My name is Kaitlynn Wellman. I have Hurler's Type 1. In an emergency please call:
My mom: Jessica Wellman @
My dad: Brian Wellman @
My Doctor: Dr. Norton @
My Aunt @

This may seem crazy to some but the concern is real, accidents do happen and your kids are number 1! Especially for those kids who can not communicate for themselves.

Sharon Cochenour
February 26th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Rebecca, good idea. I never thought of that .
Andrew also freaks out about anything touching him so he wears his locator braclet around his ankle. That way it is tucked under his sock and he can't see it or worry about it. I plan to also put his medical braclet on his ankle. The one on the shoe is also a good idea and I forgot about that one.
Sharon

The Rea Family
February 27th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Paulina,
that is absolutely wonderful.
Christopher also hates things touching him, such as hospital bracelets, and even clothing, as soon as he gets home from school, it's off with everything except his training pants(thank God he doesn't go that far)
So, that shoe tag sounds great.
Thanks for the web address Sheila.
Also, thank you Rebecca for the idea about the car seats.

Carrie

zachiesmom
February 28th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Wow, these are all great ideas!!!!!! I'm going to order a bracelet right away, hopefully we won't need it but just the peace of mind it will give me will be worth it!!! Once again..... you all RULE!!!!! :D

Brenda